Academy Museum of Motion Pictures
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures is a future museum in Los Angeles, California, currently under construction by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Set to open in 2019, the Academy Museum will be the nation's first, large-scale museum entirely dedicated to the art, science, craft, business, and history of film. The permanent and rotating exhibits will provide an immersive experience for visitors to explore the cultural and creative contributions that Hollywood and the film industry have made around the world. 
The Museum will be established in the historic May Company building—renamed the Saban Building following a $50M gift from Cheryl and Haim Saban—located on the corner of Wilshire and Fairfax along Los Angeles' Museum Mile. The 300,000 square-foot facility is being designed by the Pritzker Prize-winning architect Renzo Piano with Renzo Piano Building Workshop and Gensler. 
Pritzker-prize winning Renzo Piano designed two buildings that will make up the 300,000 square-foot campus: the Saban Building— a historical LA landmark—and the sphere building—a spherical structure that will feature a theater and terrace with sweeping views of the Hollywood Hills.
Combined the buildings will include: 50,000 square feet of gallery space, two theaters, cutting edge project spaces, an outdoor piazza, a rooftop terrace with sweeping views of the Hollywood Hills, an active education studio, special event spaces, a restaurant, and store. 
The David Geffen Theater
Located in the sphere building of the Museum, the 1,000-seat David Geffen Theater will represent the relationship between art and technology. The theater’s programming will include presentations illuminating the art of filmmaking, film premieres from new and established filmmakers, and other high-profile events. 
Ted Mann Theater
The 288-seat Ted Mann Theater will provide a more intimate space for visitors and will offer special programs and screenings. 
Since the 1930s, the Academy has been collecting movie-related materials and is now considered the world's prominent curator of cinema history. The Academy's permanent collection of over 12 million photographs, 190,000 video assets, 80,000 screenplays, 61,000 posters and over 104,000 pieces of production art will influence the Museum's future exhibitions. 
Some key objects in the Museum's collection include:
- Dorothy's ruby red slippers from The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Shirley Temple's tap shoes from The Little Colonel (1935)
- Typewriter used to write the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960)
- Only surviving shark mold from Jaws (1975)
- Tablets from The Ten Commandments (1956)
- The Overlook Hotel from The Shining (1980)
- The Aries 1B spaceship model from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Kylo Ren's costume from Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
Board of Trustees
Formed in December 2017, the Board of Trustees serves as the main governing body of the Museum and is responsible for overseeing the Museum’s overall strategic vision. The Board comprises 12 film-industry professionals with the intention to add more Trustees in the future.
Currently, the Trustees include: NBCUniversal Vice Chairman Ron Meyer (Chair), Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President John Bailey, Blumhouse Productions founder Jason Blum (Treasurer), Paramount Pictures Chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos, five-time Oscar nominated actor Tom Hanks, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences CEO Dawn Hudson, LucasFilm President Kathleen Kennedy, Cinepolis CEO Alejandro Ramirez Magaña, Netflix CCO Ted Sarandos (Vice-Chair), K Period Media founder Kimberly Steward, world-renowned fashion designer Diane von Fürstenberg, and Dolby Laboratories President and CEO Kevin Yeaman. 
- "What Academy Museum Means For LA".
- "Academy Museum of Motion Pictures".
- "LACMA sees the big picture as Academy Museum moves in next door".
- "David Geffen Foundation Donates $25M To Academy Museum of Motion Pictures: New Theatre To Be Named For Him".
- "Academy Museum Raises $5M From 3 Gifts".
- "Collection Overview".
- "10 cool things you'll see at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures when it (finally) opens".
- "Academy Museum Sets Board of Trustees Under Ron Meyer".
|This article related to a film organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This museum-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|