Academy of Contemporary Music
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Academy of Contemporary Music|
Rodboro Buildings Campus
|Motto||World Leaders in Music Industry Education|
The Academy of Contemporary Music (ACM) is a music academy in Guildford, Surrey, England providing its own contemporary music-based courses and partnering three public institutions, one college and two universities in respect of many of their contemporary music courses.
The school of music has a focus on rock, pop music, electronic dance music and a vocational approach. The school has links with Guildford's Electric Theatre, Guildford College, Middlesex University and University of Surrey.
The Academy of Contemporary Music was the brainchild of guitar tutor Phil Brookes and Peter Anderton. In the 2000s, the academy partnered with three educational establishments for awarding qualifications. These are Guildford College which grants BTEC/Edexcel awards for the lower discipline, Middlesex University and the University of Surrey. The latter validate the Certificate in Higher Education for the intermediate discipline, award degrees at BA (Hons) and BMus (Hons) through to an MA (Masters) in contemporary music in partnership with ACM.
In May 2008 ACM was awarded The Queen's Award for Enterprise: Innovation (Technology) (2008). In late 2009, with support from the University of Central Oklahoma, ACM opened a base outside of the UK in Downtown Oklahoma City, appointing Scott Booker as Executive Director.
Alumni / former students of ACM (including academic music courses in which vocational placements were made with ACM) include:
- Newton Faulkner, guitarist/singer/songwriter whose album Hand Built By Robots went to number one in the UK Album Charts.
- Amelle Berrabah, member of The Sugababes.
- Ben King, lead guitarist with The Yardbirds.
- Guy Davis, of rock group Reuben.
- Ed Sheeran, singer/songwriter, Ivor Novello, Brit Award and Grammy winner
- Zomboy, dubstep producer
- Ryan Fletcher and Joel Peat of the band Lawson
- Molly Smitten-Downes, Singer-Songwriter and the United Kingdom's Eurovision Song Contest 2014 entry
- Dominic Lyne, author
- Rabea Massaad, guitarist (Dorje and Toska)
- George Beary, drummer/producer, Bears In Trees
- "ACM Website: Home Page". Archived from the original on 16 April 2007. Retrieved 19 April 2007.
- "ACM Website: About Us Page". Archived from the original on 9 October 2009. Retrieved 18 October 2009.
- Tim Edwards (23 March 2006). "The Independent: Contemporary music academies give stars of future a chance to be heard". Archived from the original on 21 April 2007. Retrieved 19 April 2007.
- "The Captain Meets His Dad - The History Of Andertons Music Co". YouTube.com. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- Queen's Award - Innovation Archived 2012-03-06 at the Wayback Machine at Business Link
- "ACM Partner With Metropolis - MusicTech". 26 September 2013.
- "ACM Website: Students Into Industry". Archived from the original on 18 January 2008. Retrieved 19 April 2007.