Academy of Fine Arts, Karlsruhe
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The State Academy of Fine Arts Karlsruhe, German: Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste Karlsruhe, is an academy of arts in Karlsruhe, in Baden-Württemberg in south-western Germany. It is one of the smaller German art schools, with an average of 300 students.
It was founded in 1854 by Frederick I, Grand Duke of Baden. The first director was the painter of landscapes Johann Wilhelm Schirmer. Today the artist Ernst Caramelle leads it. Although the Academy of Fine Arts Karlsruhe is the smallest one in Germany, it is known as one of the most significant, consistently highly rated, because it maintains a faculty with high international reputation.
The Academy is placed in three different buildings spread over the city of Karlsruhe (including the castle Scheibenhardt).
Notable students and professors
- Erwin Aichele (1887–1974)
- Karl Albiker (1878–1961)
- Horst Antes (born 1936)
- Georg Baselitz (born 1938)
- Hermann Billing (1867–1946)
- Maximilian Liebenwein (1869–1926)
- Wilhelm Hempfing (1886–1948)
- Ernst Hildebrand (1833–1924)
- Karl Hubbuch (1891–1979)
- Alexander Kanoldt (1881–1939)
- Per Kirkeby (born 1938)
- Paul Klimsch (1868-1917)
- Max Laeuger (1864–1952)
- Markus Lüpertz (born 1941)
- Wilhelm Sauter (1896–1948)
- Gustav Schönleber (1851–1917)
- Georg Scholz (1890–1945)
- Emil Schumacher (1912–1999)
- John J. Smithies (born 1954)
- Hans Thoma
- Christoph Voll (1897–1939)
- Friedrich Wachenhusen (1859–1925)
- Holger Walter (born 1968)
- Axel Heil, Harald Klingelhöller (Editors): 150 Years. The History of the Academy of Fine Arts Karlsruhe in Pictures. Die Geschichte der Kunstakademie Karlsruhe in Bildern und Texten. Swiridoff, 2004. ISBN 3-89929-045-3
- Vereinigung der Freunde der Kunstakademie Karlsruhe e.V. (Hrsg.): Festschrift zum 125-jährigen Bestehen. C.F.Müller Verlag GmbH, Karlsruhe 1979.