Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges has a role to promote, facilitate and where appropriate co-ordinate the work of the Medical Royal Colleges and their Faculties for the benefit of patients and healthcare. The Academy comprises the 21 Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties in the United Kingdom and Ireland, with the Presidents of these organisations meeting regularly to agree direction.
Established in 1974 as the Conference of medical Royal Colleges and their Faculties, it was renamed the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges in 1996.
Recent additions have been the College of Emergency Medicine in 2008 and Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine in June 2014.
It has established one Faculty of its own - The Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management (FMLM), which is jointly administered by the Royal Colleges of Physicians and of General Practitioners.
List of Chairs of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges
The Chair is the elected head of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges. Their term of officer is up to three years.
- Dame Fiona Caldicott 1996
- Professor Narendra Babubhai Patel 1997
- Professor Roderick Norman McIver MacSween
- Professor Sir Neil Douglas (2009 to 2012)
- Professor Terence Stephenson (2012 to 2015)
- Professor Dame Susan Bailey (2015 to present)
Committees & other subgroups
- Academy Education Committee
- Academy Foundation Programme Committee
- Academy Specialty Training Committee
- Academy Assessment Committee
- Academy Trainee Doctors' Group
- Academy Patient/Lay Group
- Academy Infection Training Working Party
- Academy Project Governance Committee
- Academy Health Inequalities Forum
- UK Donations Ethics Committee
- Revalidation Project Governance Committee
- Directors of Continuing Professional Development
- International Forum
Member Colleges and Faculties
- Faculty of Dental Surgery
- Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine
- Faculty of Occupational Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine
- Faculty of Public Health
- Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare
- Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Royal College of Emergency Medicine
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Royal College of Pathologists
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
- Royal College of Physicians of London
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
- Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Royal College of Radiologists
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
There is a separate Scottish organisation: The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties in Scotland.
- "Who we are". Academy of Medical Royal Colleges. Archived from the original on 26 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "FICM welcomed as new member of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges". Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine. 2 June 2014.
- "Professor Sir Neil Douglas". The University of Edinburgh. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- "RCPCH President elected Chairman of the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges". Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. 24 April 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2015.
- Vaidya, Abhay (28 January 2015). "Professor Dame Sue Bailey to Open Bolton Health Mela". National Forum for Health and Wellbeing. Retrieved 29 August 2015.