Academy of Sciences Glacier
|Academy of Sciences Glacier|
|ледник Академии наук|
Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia
It is the largest in Severnaya Zemlya and is also the largest single glacier formation of Russia.
The Academy of Sciences Glacier is roughly circular in shape with a diameter of about 80 km (50 mi) and an area of 5,570 km2 (2,150 sq mi). It covers almost two thirds of Komsomolets island, except for an unglaciated area at the northern end. Its average height is 692 m (2,270 ft) with a maximum elevation of 749 m (2,457 ft).
This vast ice cap is located on the southern side of the island, stretching from coast to coast, with the Laptev Sea on its eastern side at Krenkel Bay, the Red Army Strait in the south and the Kara Sea on the west at Zhuravlev Bay.
- Архипелаг Северная Земля — один из наиболее крупных районов оледенения на территории России
- Glaciology - A 275 year ice-core record from Akademii Nauk ice cap, Severnaya Zemlya, Russian Arctic
- Dynamic instability of marine-terminating glacier basins of Academy of Sciences Ice Cap, Russian High Arctic
- Комсомолец // Словарь современных географических названий / Рус. геогр. о-во. Моск. центр; Под общ. ред. акад. В. М. Котлякова. Институт географии РАН. — Екатеринбург: У-Фактория, 2006
- "Lednik Akademii Nauk". Mapcarta. Retrieved 24 December 2016.
- Media related to Academy of Sciences Glacier at Wikimedia Commons
- Satellite Image Atlas of Glaciers of the World
- A stable isotope record of an ice core from Akademii Nauk ice cap
- Akademii Nauk ice cap, Severnaya Zemlya - an example of a glacier grown in Late Holocene
- The Glaciology of the Russian High Arctic from Landsat Imagery
|This Arctic-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Krasnoyarsk Krai location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a glacier in Russia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|