Academy of the Arabic Language in Israel
|مجمع اللغة العربية|
The Academy of the Arabic Language, headquartered in Haifa, was established in December 2007. Its activities are governed by a Knesset Law approved on March 2007 and are largely parallel those of the Hebrew Language Academy. The president of the academy is Prof. Mahmoud Ghanayem.
The academy works to promote:
- Study of the history of Arabic language
- Study of the Arabic language: structure, terminology, grammar, lexicon, pronunciation, spelling, reading, writing and orthography including innovations in the language and adapting the technology era and advanced computing.
- Editing dictionaries
- Study of Arab culture and literature.
- Contact and cooperation with the Hebrew Language Academy and Hebrew and Arabic research institutes in Israel and abroad.
- Cooperation with the Ministry of Education and higher education institutions and consultant services
- Publication of texts and organization of conferences
- Official website (in Arabic, Hebrew and English)