Acadieman is the first Acadian superhero, created by cartoonist and musician Daniel "Dano" Leblanc. His animated series Acadieman, began airing in late 2005, and can be seen on both Rogers TV and TV Rogers (both in English and French). Acadieman also exists in a comic book series, published by Éditions Court-Circuit.
The first Acadian superhero, he is the "official" pirate of the French language. He loves "the great indoors" and hates walking long distances. Coffee makes him strong, similar to the effect of spinach on Popeye. He likes hanging out in coffee shops and laughing at people while spoiling himself.
A few characters appear regularly on the show:
- Johnny Dieppe
A few other characters have been only in a single or a few episodes. These include Anna (a satire of Anne of Green Gables) and a mutant potato (Jericot) who have appeared in the 4th episode "Le tourisme," in the first season.
- Acadieman vs. Memere Spy
- Acadieman vs. Sa Mere
- Acadieman vs. La Beach
- Acadieman vs. Le Tourisme
- Acadieman vs. The Living Dead
- Acadieman vs. Le Time Travel
(the episodes are all on the DVD of "Acadieman la complete first saison")
- Acadieman Vs. Le Job Market (aired May 26, 2007)
- Acadieman Vs. La War des Étoiles (aired June 30, 2007)
- Acadieman Vs. Les Super Beavers (aired July 27, 2007)
- Acadieman Vs. Les Super Heroes
- Acadieman Vs. La Guerre Civile
- Acadieman Vs. True Acadienne stories
(Dano LeBlanc confirmed that the second season has six episodes)
A full-length film entitled "Acadieman Vs. le CMA 2009" is currently airing on CapAcadie.com, separated into short clips of three minutes each. The film will eventually be divided into four episodes which are due to be aired on Rogers TV in autumn, 2009.
Acadieman Vs. Noël, a special Christmas episode, aired on CapAcadie.com in December, 2008. It was viewed by 10,000 people within 48 hours.
Creator Dano Leblanc and his team put out fifteen (15) clips featuring Acadieman Vs. La Santé (Acadieman Vs. Health). These short videos feature Acadieman and friends in situations often faced by students during their day-to-day lives. Humorous and often less than two minutes long, the clips are also downloadable. They can be found on www.adosante.org and cover such topics as nutrition, body art, drugs and alcohol, mental health, relationship violence, physical activity and sexual health.
Since these videos are accessible throughout the globe via the Internet, all of the clips have two audio options: the legendary Chiac of Acadieman, and the other in standard French.
- 2006 Impression Awards – Public Choice
- 2006 Impression Awards – Diversity Programming
- Yorkton Short Film and Video Festival – Animation Category Nomination
- Yorkton Short Film and Video Festival – Jury's Choice Award
Notes and references
- Sylvie Mousseau (December 19, 2008). "Le Noël d'Acadieman fait courir les foules sur Interne" (in French). Acadie Nouvelle. Archived from the original on December 21, 2008.
- (in French) Acadieman