Accelerate (Christina Aguilera song)
|Single by Christina Aguilera featuring Ty Dolla Sign and 2 Chainz|
|from the album Liberation|
|Released||May 3, 2018|
|Christina Aguilera singles chronology|
|Ty Dolla Sign singles chronology|
|2 Chainz singles chronology|
"Accelerate" is a song by American singer Christina Aguilera and was released as the lead single from her eighth studio album Liberation (2018). It features guest vocals from singer Ty Dolla Sign and rapper 2 Chainz. The song was produced by Kanye West alongside Che Pope, Mike Dean and Eric Danchick, with co-production from Honorable C.N.O.T.E. and Charlie Heat. "Accelerate" became Aguilera's tenth number-one song on the US Billboard Dance Club Songs chart.
Jon Caramanica of The New York Times called "Accelerate" "fantastically weird", stating, "Ty Dolla Sign's moans and yelps, sinuous keyboard lines, a charmingly staccato verse from 2 Chainz. Somewhere in there is Ms. Aguilera, under-singing and trying not to get pushed into a corner. And yet despite these disparate inputs, there's something loose and admirable happening here: everyone is trying new things, and the disarray verges on flamboyance." According to MTV's Sam Prance, "Accelerate" is one of Aguilera's "most experimental releases to date," as well as "an instantly memorable pulsating club bop." Billboard called the single "a stormy comeback" with high energy, while The Guardian regarded it as catchy and a "promising comeback", noting Aguilera's "incredible" vocals. The Fader praised Aguilera for "brave artistic choice" and assured that upon listening deeper into the song, its weirdest and most interesting sounds become "addictive".
Sheldon Pearce of Pitchfork said it is "certainly a liberation from something, though it's unclear what. There's a fun song (or two) trapped in here somewhere, between several mutations, but without any sort of constancy or meaningful direction, it isn't much of a song at all; it's a series of disjointed episodes with superfluous parts. 'Accelerate' is unnecessarily mixing and inflating ideas when far less would do." Hugh McIntyre, a contributor to Forbes.com, was critical of the song, saying "'Accelerate' sounds like it's headed somewhere, but it never actually arrives. The track is disappointingly one-note, and once you've heard what it has to give in the first few seconds, there isn't a lot more to discover. The drum-heavy production immediately catches the ear, but it never develops and grows, and there's no powerful hook that requires a replay".
In the United States, the song peaked at number twenty-four on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles. Elsewhere, the song had minor chart success, reaching the top ten in Spain. In UK and Canada, the song charted on the digital sales component charts in each country. "Accelerate" became Aguilera's tenth number-one song on the US Billboard Dance Club Songs chart.
|Canada Digital Song Sales (Billboard)||49|
|Greek Digital Singles (IFPI Greece)||100|
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||22|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||74|
|Spain Physical/Digital (PROMUSICAE)||6|
|UK Download (Official Charts Company)||71|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||24|
|US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||1|
- "Christina Aguilera Is Back With a New Rap-Forward Single". Time. May 3, 2018. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- "Christina Aguilera strips topless in very sexy video for comeback single Accelerate produced by Kanye West". The Sun. May 3, 2018. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Aswad, Jem (May 3, 2018). "Christina Aguilera Drops Kanye West-Produced Song 'Accelerate,' Announces New Album (Video)". Variety. Retrieved May 3, 2018.
- Calamarica, Jon (May 4, 2018). "The Playlist: Christina Aguilera's Bizarre Puzzle, and 13 More New Songs". The New York Times. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- Prance, Sam (May 3, 2018). "Christina Aguilera Wows with New Single 'Accelerate'". MTV. Retrieved May 5, 2018.
- "Christina Aguilera Prepping 'Liberation' Album, Drops 'Accelerate' with Ty Dolla $ign & 2 Chainz: Listen". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- Sampson, Issy (May 11, 2018). "Tracks of the week reviewed: Christina Aguilera, Céline Dion and Kanye West". The Guardian. Retrieved May 16, 2018.
- "Stop sleeping on Christina Aguilera's "Accelerate"". The Fader. Retrieved 2018-05-21.
- Pearce, Sheldon (May 3, 2018). "Christina Aguilera "Accelerate" [ft. Ty Dolla $ign & 2 Chainz]". Pitchfork. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- McIntyre, Hugh (May 3, 2018). "Christina Aguilera Finally Kicks Off A New Era With Lackluster Single 'Accelerate'". Forbes.com. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- "Canadian Digital Song Sales: Week of May 19, 2018". Billboard. Retrieved May 16, 2018.
- "Lescharts.com – Christina Aguilera feat. Ty Dolla $ign & 2 Chainz – Accelerate" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved May 19, 2018.
- "Digital Singles Chart (International) Εβδομάδα: 18/2018" (in Greek). IFPI Greece. Retrieved May 16, 2018.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 11, 2018.
- "Spanish Song Sales: Week of May 13, 2018". Spanishcharts.com. Retrieved June 2, 2018.
- "Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved May 13, 2018.
- "Christina Aguilera Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved May 15, 2018.
- "Christina Aguilera Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved August 24, 2018.