Access America Transport
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Number of locations
|Ted Alling, Co-Founder, CEO|
Barry Large, Co-Founder, CFO
Allan Davis, Co-Founder, COO
Chad Eichelberger, President
Ronald Ramsey, Executive Vice President
Access America Transport was a third-party logistics provider of transportation and logistics services. The company, based in Chattanooga, Tennessee, operated nine offices and serviced customers throughout North America. Access America's services included: truckload shipping, less than truckload shipping, intermodal, specialized transportation, and supply chain management. Access America Transport was one of the fastest growing transportation and logistics service provider in North America.
Access America Transport was founded in 2002 in Chattanooga by Ted Alling and Barry Large as the logistics division of Key-James Brick. The company soon expanded into other commodities and began offering dry van, flatbed, and refrigerated van service.
In 2003, Miller Welborn and Allan Davis joined Access America Transport and the company expanded its services to include transload and warehouse facilities. Access America opened its first such facility in Birmingham, Alabama.
The company opened its second office location in 2005 in Birmingham. The office began working with the Department of Defense and other government entities moving truckload freight within the United States. Following the opening of the Birmingham location, the company began moving freight within Canada and Mexico as well.
In 2006, Access America added locations in Minneapolis and Eufaula, Alabama. In addition, the company began offering less-than-truckload (LTL), heavy haul, and intermodal services to its customers. The expansion into LTL also included technology upgrades which enabled Access America customers to enter shipment information online and compare service options based on pricing, service, and LTL carrier, the interface similar to websites like Travelocity.
In 2007 and 2008, Access America opened three additional locations in Ohio and Tennessee. The company also expanded into supply chain management, reverse logistics, freight consolidation, and refrigerated LTL while further upgrading its transportation management system software. In 2009, the ownership team at Access America also founded a transportation insurance agency called Reliance Partners.
Access America Transport added its 7th location in Atlanta in June 2011. The company hired its 200th employee in July 2011 and expanded its Chattanooga and Minneapolis facilities. AAT opened two additional offices in 2012. The new offices locations were opened in Denver, Colorado and San Antonio, Texas. The San Antonio office was opened to provide additional focus on produce and refrigerated shipping. In addition, the Birmingham and Columbus, Ohio locations were both relocated to accommodate additional growth. Access America Transport hired its 425th employee in November 2012.
Access America Transport announced the addition of over 950 new jobs in Chattanooga; Knoxville; and Minneapolis in early 2013. These jobs are to be created over the next five years and will be supported by workforce training grants from Tennessee and Minnesota. 2013 also marked the opening on the tenth Access America office in the Gulf Coast region.
In March 2014, Access America Transport and Coyote Logistics announced that both boards had approved an agreement to merge the two businesses. The combination created a more than $2 billion freight brokerage. Coyote Logistics reportedly paid more than $260 million for Access America Transport. The combined company was sold to UPS for $1.8 billion in July 2015. 
- Truckload: Dry van shipments of freight
- Less-Than-Truckload (LTL): Generally smaller shipments of cargo, less than 10,000 lb
- Intermodal (Rail): Shipments of freight via rail in containers or trailers
- Temperature-Controlled: Reefer shipments (Refrigerated or frozen truckload)
- Open Deck: Flatbed, specialized, permits, escorts, over-dimensional, or permitted loads
- Supply Chain Management: Customizable supply chain solutions and reporting
- Common, Contract, and Private fleets: Freight is matched with backhaul assets
Access America Transport works with customers in North America moving their freight via truck and rail. The company, acting as a third-party, negotiates pricing with its customers and negotiates volume pricing from trucking companies and railroads. The company has contracts and relationships with 46,000 truckload providers, 48 less-than-truckload providers, and 12 railroads. The carrier relationships encompass common, contract, and private fleet trucking companies.
The company’s customer base includes the United States Government, government contractors, manufacturers, distributors, and other logistics companies. Industries serviced by the company include: aerospace, automotive, chemical, construction materials, electronics, food and beverage, produce, retail, telecommunications, and textiles. The company is ISO 9001:2008 certified and is a member of the SmartWay Transport Partnership, a collaboration between the freight industry and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Awards and recognition
- Forbes America's #9 Most Promising Company - 2013
- Inc. 500|5000
- ISO 9001:2008 Certified
- 2011 Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year - Large Category
- Supply Chain Brain 100 Great Supply Chain Partners
- Most Engaged Workplaces
- Inbound Logistics Top 100 - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- EPA SmartWay Transport Partnership
- Transport Topics Top 25 Freight Brokerage Firm
- BusinessTN Hot 100
- NASTC Best Broker
- TIA P3 Certification
- "Access America Transport - Chattanooga, TN". Inc.com. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "LTL Shipping Quotes | Less Than Truckload Trucking Companies". Accessamericatransport.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Reliance Partners: Refreshing an Industry". Chattanoogatrend.com. 2016-08-01. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Jamestown - Warehouse Row Welcomes Access America Transport to Office Suites". Jamestownproperties.com. 2011-07-21. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Access America Expands". Access America Transport. 2011-01-11. Archived from the original on 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Logistics USA - Access America Expanding to Colorado". Logisticsmediausa.com. 2012-11-19. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Access America Transport to Expand Tennessee Operations | TN.gov Newsroom". News.tn.gov. 2012-12-10. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Brooklyn Park trucking broker plans to add 500 jobs locally". Star Tribune. 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Coyote, Access America Transport Announce Merger". Logisticsmgmt.com. 2014-03-24. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "When freight moves, it moves through Freight Alley". Freightwaves.com. 2017-03-15. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "UPS buys Coyote Logistics for $1.8 billion".
- "Access America Transport on the Forbes America's Most Promising Companies List". Forbes.com. 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "has been awarded certification for the ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System Standard". Access America Transport. 2009-01-05. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "2010". Chattanoogachamber.com. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Goodman, Russell W. (2011-08-02). "100 Great Supply Chain Partners". Supplychainbrain.com. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Winner Photos | Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces™". Achievers.com. Archived from the original on 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- [dead link]
- "EPA Partner List". EPA.gov. Archived from the original on 13 October 2013.
- "Logistic firm keeps growing". Times Free Press. 2008-12-25. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Best Broker Website Links- 800.264.8580". NASTC. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "e-Customer". Tianet.org. 2005-04-19. Archived from the original on 2014-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-18.