According to Jim
|According to Jim|
|Created by||Tracy Newman
Larry Joe Campbell
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||182 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Newman-Stark Productions
Brad Grey Television
Touchstone Television (2001–2007)
ABC Studios (2007–2009)
|Distributor||Disney–ABC Domestic Television (2007–present) (as Buena Vista Television (2001–2007)|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV),
|Original release||October 3, 2001– June 2, 2009|
According to Jim is an American sitcom television series starring Jim Belushi in the title role as a suburban father of three children (five children starting with the season-seven finale). It originally ran on ABC from October 3, 2001 to June 2, 2009.
Jim is a lovable suburban father. Much like his real-life counterpart, Jim's character is noted as a fan of blues music, as well as the Chicago Bears, Chicago Cubs, Chicago Bulls and the Chicago Blackhawks. Together with his wife Cheryl, they have three children, daughters Ruby and Gracie and son Kyle. In the seventh season they become parents of twins Jonathan and Gordon.
Jim often finds himself in messy situations, because his laziness inclines him to search for alternative ways to get things done with less effort. While Cheryl's brother Andy may be Jim's best friend, her sister Dana frequently teams up with Cheryl against Jim. He also prefers to lie to Cheryl and Dana to do his own activities but they end up backfiring on him. He hates losing to women, especially if Cheryl or Dana find out. He doesn't like people interrupting him when he talks, so he speaks over them to shut them up. Jim often makes an example of Andy, who for most of the series does not have a steady girlfriend. Dana and Jim bicker constantly, but Dana flirts with Jim when she's drunk, discovering after one such event that she respects Jim as a loving father despite his flaws.
The show first aired following the surprise hit comedy My Wife and Kids and quickly developed an audience of its own. For its second season ABC placed it on its revitalized Tuesday line-up, which also included John Ritter's 8 Simple Rules, Bonnie Hunt's Life with Bonnie and Sara Rue's Less Than Perfect. Week by week, the show attracted more and more viewers, becoming ABC's second most watched sitcom. The show performed so well that the network made a risky move: putting Jim opposite the NBC juggernaut Frasier. Although Jim did not beat the competition, it performed well enough to secure itself that spot on the 2003 fall schedule.
On May 15, 2007, it was announced that According to Jim would not be renewed for another season. ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson said, "We are talking to the studio to see if there's something financially, a deal that would make sense for us". But on June 27, 2007, ABC renewed the show for a seventh season with 18 episodes.
According to Jim returned to ABC's schedule on Tuesday January 1, 2008, with two episodes at 9 pm and 9:30 pm. After that, the series moved to its regular time slot at 8 pm. Despite the writer's strike, ABC announced that the show would produce all 18 episodes ordered for this season.
On February 27, 2008, it was reported that ABC was close to renewing According to Jim for an eighth season. On May 13, 2008, ABC officially renewed the series and season eight began airing on December 2, 2008. Kimberly Williams-Paisley left the show's regular cast at the beginning of season eight, to devote her time to motherhood. She only made a guest appearance in the season finale.
In December 2008, co-star Larry Joe Campbell said that the sets had been destroyed, indicating that the series was cancelled, but that a series finale had been recorded. After the first six episodes of Season 8 all aired in December, According to Jim returned to ABC's schedule on April 14, 2009, for the final 12 episodes. The series finale of According to Jim aired on June 2, 2009, on ABC, and was titled "Heaven Opposed to Hell".
Cast and characters
- Jim Belushi – Jim
- Courtney Thorne-Smith – Cheryl
- Kimberly Williams-Paisley – Dana Gibson (Seasons 1–7, guest season 8)
- Larry Joe Campbell – Andy
- Taylor Atelian – Ruby
- Billi Bruno – Gracie
- Conner Rayburn – Kyle (Seasons 4–8)
- Mitch Rouse – Ryan Gibson (Seasons 4–6, guest season 8)
- Mo Collins – Emily (Seasons 7–8)
- Jackie Debatin – Mandy (Season 8)
- Tim Bagley – Tim Devlin (Recurring)
- Cynthia Stevenson – Cindy Devlin (Recurring)
- Carmena Katova - (Recurring)
|DVD Name||Ep#||Release Date|
|The Complete First Season||22||October 21, 2008|
|The Complete Second Season||28||May 4, 2010|
|The Complete Third Season||29||May 3, 2011|
|The Complete Fourth Season||27||July 5, 2011|
|The Complete Fifth Season||22||October 4, 2011|
|The Complete Sixth Season||18||N/A|
|The Complete Seventh Season||N/A|
|The Complete Eighth and Final Season||N/A|
U.S. television ratings
Seasonal rankings (based on average total viewers per episode) of According to Jim on ABC.
Note: Each U.S. network television season starts in late September and ends in late May, which coincides with the completion of May sweeps.
|Season||Timeslot||Premiere||Finale||TV season||Ranking||Viewers (in millions)|
|1st||Wednesday 8:30 p.m.||October 3, 2001||May 15, 2002||2001–2002||#55||10.0|
|2nd||Tuesday 8:30 p.m.||October 1, 2002||May 20, 2003||2002–2003||#51||10.3|
|3rd||Tuesday 9:00 p.m.||September 23, 2003||May 25, 2004||2003–2004||#51||9.9|
|4th||Tuesday 9:00 p.m.||September 21, 2004||May 17, 2005||2004–2005||#47||9.9|
|5th||Tuesday 8:00 p.m.||September 20, 2005||May 2, 2006||2005–2006||#108||6.7|
|6th||Wednesday 9:00 p.m.||January 3, 2007||May 16, 2007||2006–2007||#119||6.7|
|7th||Tuesday 9:00 p.m.||January 1, 2008||March 11, 2008||2007–2008||#146||5.3|
|Tuesday 8:30 p.m.||April 15, 2008||May 27, 2008||2007–2008||#171||4.1|
|8th||Tuesday 9:00 p.m.||December 2, 2008||December 30, 2008||2008–2009||#104||5.6|
|Tuesday 9:30 p.m.||December 2, 2008||December 30, 2008||2008–2009||#127||4.8|
|Tuesday 8:00 p.m.||April 14, 2009||June 2, 2009||2008–2009||#148||3.8|
|Tuesday 8:30 p.m.||April 14, 2009||June 2, 2009||2008–2009||#149||3.8|
- Albania: Jeta sipas Xhimit (TV Klan)
- Arab World: على مقاييس جيم (MBC 4, Fox Series)
- Argentina: According to Jim (Sony Entertainment Television (Latin America))
- Australia: According to Jim (7mate, Fox8)
- Austria: Jim hat immer Recht! (Jim is always right!) (ORF1)
- Belgium: According to Jim (2BE)
- BIH: Svijet prema Džimu (BHT1)
- Brazil: O Jim é Assim (SBT dubbed in Portuguese, Sony Entertainment Television subtitled)
- Bulgaria: Питайте Джим (Pitaytie Jim, Ask Jim) (GTV/bTV Comedy)
- Canada: According to Jim (CMT)
- Colombia: According to Jim (Sony Entertainment Television)
- Croatia: Svijet prema Jimu (RTL 2)
- Denmark: According to Jim (TV3+)
- Egypt: According to Jim (Channel 2)
- Estonia: Jimi maailm (Jim's world) (Fox Life)
- Finland: Perheen kalleudet (MTV3)
- Germany: Immer wieder Jim (Jim again and again) (RTL II, Super RTL, Comedy Central Germany)
- Greece: According to Jim (FOX)
- Hungary: Jim szerint a világ (The World According to Jim) (Comedy Central)
- India: According to Jim (STAR World, Zcafe)
- Israel: החיים לפי ג'ים (HOT family/yes stars Base)
- Italy: La vita secondo Jim (The Life According to Jim) (Disney Channel, Fox, Italia 1)
- Latin America: According to Jim (Sony Entertainment Television)
- Latvia: Džima dēļ (Latvijas Neatkarīgā Televīzija, TV6 Latvia, TV3 Latvia, Fox Life, Sony Entertainment Television Baltic, FOX Latvia)
- Lebanon: According to Jim (Future TV)
- Macao: According to Jim (STAR World)
- Macedonia: Како ќе каже Џим (A1, Fox Life)
- Malaysia: According to Jim (NTV7, (FX)
- Maldives: According to Jim (STAR World)
- Montenegro: Prema Jimu (RTV Atlas)
- Netherlands: According to Jim (SBS6, Veronica)
- New Zealand: According to Jim (TV2)
- Norway: According to Jim (TV3 (Norway))
- Pakistan: According to Jim (STAR World)
- Poland: Jim wie lepiej (Jim knows better) (Comedy Central Polska, TV Puls)
- Portugal: O mundo de Jim (Fox Life)
- Romania: Vorba lu' Jim (TVR 1)
- Russia: Как сказал Джим (Kak skazal Jim, As Jim said) (FoxLife) (STS (TV channel))
- Serbia: Život po Džimu (Fox Life, Radio Television of Serbia, B92)
- Singapore: "According to Jim" (FX)
- Slovakia: Bláznivý Jimmov život (Markíza)
- Slovenia: Jimova družina (Kanal A)
- South Africa: According to Jim (Comedy Central Africa)
- South Korea: According to Jim (Fox Life)
- Spain: El mundo según Jim (La Sexta)
- Sweden: According to Jim, Jims Värld (Jims World) (Comedy Central, TV3, TV6)
- Switzerland: La vita secondo Jim (RSI La 1)
- Taiwan: 吉姆愛說笑 (According to Jim) (FX)
- Turkey: According to Jim (CNBC-e, ComedyMax)
- Ukraine: Як сказав Джим (Yak skazav Jim) (As Jim said) (Novyi Kanal)
- United Kingdom: According to Jim (Channel 4)
- Georgia: რა თქვა ჯიმმა(Comedy Channel/კომედი არხი)
- [dead link]
- "ABC Renews 'According to Jim'". TVWeek. 2007-06-27. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- [dead link]
- "Breaking News - 'Jim' to Finish Out Season for Abc - TheFutonCritic.com". thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Wayback.archive.org. 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2015-10-02.
- "Breaking News - ABC Unveils 2008-09 Primetime Schedule - TheFutonCritic.com". thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "Breaking News - ABC Sets Return Date for "Jim," End Date for "Boston" - TheFutonCritic.com". thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
-  Archived January 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Breaking News - According to Jim to Return to ABC Tuesdays - TheFutonCritic.com". thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "USATODAY.com - How did your favorite show rate?". usatoday.com. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "Rank And File". ew.com. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "ABC Medianet". abcmedianet.com. Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "ABC Medianet". abcmedianet.com. Archived from the original on 10 March 2007. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
-  Archived May 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived January 7, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived April 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived January 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: According to Jim|