Accrediting Commission International
|Type||Unrecognized higher education accreditor|
|John F. Scheel|
Accrediting Commission International (ACI), also known as Accrediting Commission International for Schools, Colleges, and Theological Seminaries, possibly associated with International Accrediting Commission (IAC), also known as International Accrediting Commission for Schools, Colleges and Theological Seminaries, is an unrecognized educational accreditation corporation in the United States. It primarily accredits religious schools, including seminaries and Bible colleges, and also offers accreditation to non-U.S. schools that offer business education programs.
In 2007, the St. Petersburg Times quoted Alan Contreras, the leader of Oregon's Office of Degree Authorization (an organization that follows questionable accrediting agencies) as saying, "Anything accredited by ACI in Beebe, Ark., is either fake or substandard, as far as I know."
ACI is not recognized by either Council for Higher Education Accreditation or United States Department of Education, the two institutions responsible for recognizing educational accrediting institutions in the United States.
The Oregon Office of Degree Authorization includes ACI in its list of unrecognized accreditation agencies stating that, "any so-called 'accreditation' by these bodies is meaningless in Oregon and in some other states."
IAC was caught in a sting operation by Missouri assistant attorney general Eric Vieth; it accredited an obvious diploma mill, and was charged with fraud. IAC was ordered to cease operation in the state of Missouri but reappeared in Beebe, accrediting the same institutions as previously. Degree.net says that "International Accrediting Commission for Schools, Colleges and Theological Seminaries" (IAC) was an organization directed by Dr. George Reuter, who retired immediately before ACI arose in Arkansas.
- Accreditation mill
- List of unaccredited institutions of higher learning
- List of unrecognized accreditation associations of higher learning
- John Bear, Great Moments in Accreditation: The Case of IAC, ACI, and The Three Stooges, Quackwatch.com, accessed January 8, 2012
- Roach, David (2006-10-24). "Pastor's resignation sparks discussion of accreditation". Baptist Press. Archived from the original on 2007-03-27. Retrieved 2016-10-03.
- "Degree inspires little faith". St. Petersburg Times. 2007-10-27. Archived from the original on 2007-12-18. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Accrediting Agencies Not Recognized Under GAAP". Degree.net. 2008. Archived from the original on 8 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- “Accrediting” entities not recognized by the State of Oregon Archived 2010-10-15 at the Wayback Machine., Oregon Office of Degree Authorization, Oregon state government