|5th Premier of the Free State|
6 May 2009
|Preceded by||Beatrice Marshoff|
|Secretary-General of the African National Congress|
18 December 2017
|Preceded by||Gwede Mantashe|
|Born||1959 (age 58–59)
Tumahole, Parys, Orange Free State, Union of South Africa
|Political party||African National Congress|
|Alma mater||University of Fort Hare|
Elias Sekgobelo "Ace" Magashule (born 1959) is a South African politician who currently serves as the Premier of the Free State. He was elected to the position by the Free State Legislature on 6 May 2009, replacing Beatrice Marshoff. He was elected Secretary General of the African National Congress in December 2017.
In April 2015 it was reported that R8 million of taxpayer's money had been spent in the 2011/12 financial year on aesthetic renovations to his official residence.
In December 2015, the Free State province purchased a luxury Mercedes-Benz car costing R2.3m, including a panoramic sunroof and entertainment centre. Shortly before, six luxury Mercedes costing R3.2 million had been purchased and handed over to traditional leaders. The opposition Democratic Alliance responded by claiming that Magashule was turning the province into a "banana republic". The House of Traditional Leaders chairperson King Lelika Moloi stated that the cars did not serve as a bribe to secure votes for the following year's local elections.
In November 2017 the winner of a tender from the provincial government Magashule headed alleged that Magashule had personally encouraged him to act as a front for the contract.
In January 2018, the Hawks unit of South Africa's Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation raided Magashule's offices in connection with the Vrede Dairy Project, calling it a "scheme designed to defraud and steal monies" from the Free State Department of Agriculture.
- "Profile of the Free State Premier". Free State Government. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Magashule elected as Free State premier". IOL News. SAPA. 6 May 2009. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Come in, the water's lovely! Magashule's pool gets a makeover". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Free State Premier Ace Magashule is turning the province into a banana republic, the DA said on Monday". Mail and Guardian. 29 December 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "amaBhungane - Dodgy World Cup deal comes back to bite Free State premier Ace Magashule". amabhungane.co.za. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- "NPA freezes R220m, land linked to Gupta farm". 20 January 2018.
- Bateman, Barry (25 January 2018). "Hawks Raid FS Premier's Office Over Gupta-linked Vrede Dairy Farm".
|Premier of the Free State
6 May 2009 –