Ach-na-Cloich railway station
Location of the former station (1994)
|Area||Argyll and Bute|
|Original company||Callander and Oban Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Callander and Oban Railway operated by Caledonian Railway|
|1 January 1917||Station closed|
|1 June 1919||Station reopened|
|1 November 1965||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Ach-na-Cloich is a closed railway station located on the south shore of Loch Etive, in Argyll and Bute. Its site is located on the Oban route of the scenic West Highland Line, that was part of the Callander and Oban Railway.
Opened by the Callander and Oban Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. Passing to the Scottish Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948, it was then closed by the British Railways Board.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line and Station open
|Callander and Oban Railway
Operated by Caledonian Railway
Line and Station open
The site today
Trains on the Oban section of the West Highland Line pass the site of the closed station. The single platform remains in situ but the wooden station building, which survived long after closure, has now gone.
- Butt (1995), page 13
- Fryer (1989): page 54 clearly shows the station name sign "ACH-NA-CLOICH"
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Fryer, Charles (1989). The Callander and Oban Railway. Oxford: Oakwood Press. ISBN 0-8536-1377-X. OCLC 21870958.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
- RAILSCOT on Callander and Oban Railway
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|