This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||August 29, 1985|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, trombone professor|
|Associated acts||Greek Radio Symphony Orchestra (2010)|
Canadian Brass (2011-present)
European Union Youth Orchestra
Pink Martini (2013-present)
Early life and education
Born in Athens, Greece, Liarmakopoulos started trombone lessons at the Philippos Nakas Conservatory, graduating with Excellent Unanimous and first prize. At the age of 18, Liarmakopoulos performed as a soloist at the Walt Disney Hall as the Grand Prize Winner of the Pasadena Showcase House Instrumental Competition, judged by members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
Liarmakopoulos holds degrees from the Yale School of Music, the Curtis Institute of Music (class of 2008) the San Francisco Conservatory of Music and the Philippos Nakas Conservatory in his hometown of Athens, Greece. His studies have been supported by merit-based scholarships, Bok Foundation and Milton L. Rock Annual Fellowships and scholarships from the Henry and Lucy Moses Fund, Alexandros S. Onassis Foundation and the Greek State Scholarship Foundation. Yale University awarded him the Philip Francis Nelson Prize for outstanding musicianship.
In December 2010, Liarmakopoulos won the position of principal trombone of the Greek Radio Symphony Orchestra, where he played for one season before joining the Canadian Brass. He has also performed with the Malaysian Philharmonic, Jacksonville Symphony and European Union Youth Orchestra.
In April 2011, he was invited to audition for the Canadian Brass and since then, he has been their trombonist touring all over the world.
Liarmakopoulos' third album Trombone Atrevido with choro music from Brazil was released in July 2015 on the ODEG label. The album was produced by guitarist Spiros Exaras and mastered by Bernie Grundman at the Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios-Los Angeles, CA 
In 2017 he released his fourth solo album titled Ethereal. The album features six brand new compositions and five arrangements with an exceptional roster of musicians from all over the world including Fernando Suarez Paz from Astor Piazzolla's legendary Tango Quintet. 
In 2018 he formed Cuatrombon with Jorge Glem on cuatro, Manuel Rangel on maracas and Bam Bam Rodriguez on bass. Together they released three singles of Venezuelan music.
Liarmakopoulos is a supporter of new music and new works for trombone, and has premiered a number of pieces by new composers. Four Trombone concertos and several chamber pieces have been written specifically for him . He premiered Dream (for trombone solo, string orchestra and harp) by Andrew Cadima at the Curtis Institute of Music in May 2008.
- Anaklasis - Vagelis Simsiris (1998)
- Dream - Concerto for Trombone and Strings - Andrew Cadima (2008)
- Indigo for Trombone and Piano - John Ellis (2009)
- Tango Paradiso for Trombone and piano - John Ellis (2009)
- Chinese suite - Hua Yang (2010)
- Krakatoa for Trombone and Marimba - Stephen Feigenbaum (2010)
- Concertino for Trombone and Strings - Dinos Costantinides (2012)
- Chorinho do sol - Spiros Exaras (2014)
- Distance for Trombone and Trombone Choir - Andrew Cadima (2015)
- Sleepwalker for Trombone and harp - Andrew Cadima (2016)
- Trombonsillo forTrombone and piano - Carolina Calvache (2016)
- Nostos for trombone and harp - Spiros Exaras (2017)
Competitions and awards
- Second Christian Lindberg International Solo Competition: Second Prize
- International Trombone Festival Robert Marsteller/Conn-Selmer Competition: Winner
- International Trombone Festival Solo Competition: Winner
- International Trombone Festival Larry Wiehe Competition: Winner
- San Francisco Conservatory of Music Concerto Competition: Winner
- Pasadena Showcase House Instrumental Competition: Grand-prize winner
- 2010 Yale School of Music Woolsey Hall Concerto Competition: Honorable Mention
- Tango Distinto – Astor Piazzolla (2011, Naxos Records)
- Discoveries – New works for trombone and piano (2014, ODEG)[dead link]
- Trombone Atrevido - Choro music from Brazil (2015, ODEG)
- Ethereal - (2017, AL)
With the Canadian Brass
- Canadian Brass Takes Flight (2011)
- Brass Romance (2012, single)
- Carnaval (Robert Schumann's Kinderszenen and Carnaval) (2013)
- Christmas Time is Here (2013)
- Great Wall of China (2014)
- Perfect Landing (2015)
- "Achilles Liarmakopoulos | A Trombone Journey: from Tango nuevo to Choros".
- "Full Alumni Listing". Curtis School of Music. Archived from the original on December 10, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Biography". Achillestrombone.com.
- "Liarmakopoulos Releases Debut Album". Archived from the original on January 21, 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Discoveries - Achilles Liarmakopoulos, trombone and Amy J. Yang, Piano CD". Canadian Brass Store. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Amy Yang, pianist - Official Site". www.amyjyang.com. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Achilles Liaramakopolous / Trombone Atrevido / Linus Entertainment". linus.labelstore.ca. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Bernie Grundman Credits - ARTISTdirect Music". www.artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "ETHEREAL | Achilles Liarmakopoulos". Opening Day Entertainment Group. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- Gama, Raul da (2017-07-01). "Achilles Liarmakopoulos Presents: Ethereal - World Music Report". World Music Report. Retrieved 2017-10-31.
- achillestrombone (2018-05-09), 1. El Rezongón - Merengue Venezolano - LIVE - Cuatrombon!, retrieved 2018-10-07
- International Trombone Association :: Events :: Cadima Premiere Archived February 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Curtis Brass.com :: Recent News Archived February 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.sfcm.edu/pdf/April_May.pdf Archived April 23, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Instrumental Competition". Pasadena Showcase House for the Arts. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Winners of the 2010 Woolsy Hall Concerto Competition Announced". Music at Yale. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "PIAZZOLLA, A.: Tango Distinto (Liarmakopoulos) - 8.572596". Naxos.com. 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Amoeba Music". Amoeba.com. 2018-09-25. Retrieved 2018-10-08.
- "Trombone Atrevido". Opening Day Entertainment Group. Retrieved 2016-01-24.
- "Perfect Landing Canadian Brass CD". Canadianbrassstore.com. Retrieved 2018-10-08.