Achnahannet, Loch Ness
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Achnahannet (Scottish Gaelic: Achadh na h-Annaid) is a small hamlet and farm estate located near the northwest shore of Loch Ness in Invernesshire, Highland, Scotland. It lies south of Drumnadrochit along the A82 road, just southwest of Lenie and Urquhart Castle.
Loch Ness monster
Numerous sightings of the Loch Ness monster have allegedly been made from Achnahannet.In September 1983 a woman captured the monster in a photograph taken just south of Achnahannet on the river bank.The Loch Ness Phenomena Investigation Bureau have had their headquarters in Achnahannet.Over the years this organization collected reports, footage, and photographs by people claiming to have seen the monster and sent them to the British Air Ministry in London for interpretation.On several occasions, such as in June 1974, at least 50 bureau members camped out alongside the river bank in Achnahannet with photographic and monitoring equipment to attempt to spot the creature.
- Harrison, Paul (August 1999). The encyclopaedia of the Loch Ness monster. Robert Hale. ISBN 978-0-7090-6461-9. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Mackal, Roy P. (April 1980). The monsters of Loch Ness. Swallow Press. ISBN 978-0-8040-0704-7. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Eberhart, George M. (December 2002). Mysterious creatures: a guide to cryptozoology. ABC-CLIO. p. 380. ISBN 978-1-57607-283-7. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Boy Scouts of America, Inc. (December 1972). Boys' Life. Boy Scouts of America, Inc. p. 4. ISSN 0006-8608. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Souci, Robert D. San (May 1989). The Loch Ness Monster: Opposing Viewpoints. Greenhaven Press. ISBN 978-0-89908-072-7. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- The Loch Ness story. 1974. ISBN 978-0-900963-51-3. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
|This Highland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|