This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||San Francisco, California, U.S.|
|Labels||Small Stone, Leaf Hound, Man's Ruin, Sympathy for the Record Industry|
|Associated acts||Altamont, Black Cobra, Goatsnake, The Obsessed, Buzzov•en, Melvins|
|Past members||Dale Crover|
Acid King is an American stoner metal band from San Francisco, California. It was formed in 1993 by frontwoman Lori S., drummer Joey Osbourne and bassist Peter Lucas. Acid King have since recorded four studio albums and two EPs with a series of bassists.
The band's name was inspired by the crimes of Ricky Kasso, who murdered his friend Gary Lauwers in Northport, New York on June 19, 1984. Kasso was nicknamed "Acid King" by his peers due to his chronic hallucinogenic drug use. The band's debut EP features a photograph of Kasso on its cover. The band itself has also been featured in two books – The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal and the A to Z of Doom, Gothic & Stoner Metal – both published in 2003.
- Lori S. – guitar, vocals, lyrics (1993–present)
- Rafa Martinez– bass (2005–2008, 2017–present)
- Bil Bowman – drums (2017–present)
- Peter Lucas – bass (1993-1996; appears on Acid King and Zoroaster)
- Dan Southwick – bass (1996–1998; appears on Down with the Crown)
- Brian Hill – bass (1998–1999; appears on Busse Woods)
- Guy Pinhas – bass (1999–2005; appears on Free... and III)
- Mark Lamb – bass (2007–2017)
- Joey Osbourne – drums (1993–2017)
|1994||Acid King (EP)||Sympathy for the Record Industry||reissued on The Early Years|
|1995||Zoroaster||Sympathy for the Record Industry||reissued on The Early Years|
|1997||Down with the Crown||Man's Ruin Records||reissued as a split with Altamont|
|1999||Busse Woods||Man's Ruin Records
Small Stone Records
|reissued with bonus tracks in 2004 (Small Stone)|
reissued on vinyl in 2007 (Kreation)
|2001||Free...||Man's Ruin Records||released as a split with Clearlight|
|2005||Acid King III||Small Stone Records||reissued on vinyl in 2006 (Kreation)|
|2006||The Early Years||Leaf Hound Records||compilation containing remasters of Acid King and Zoroaster|
|2015||Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere||Svart Records|
- "Not Fragile" (BTO cover) on In the Groove (1999 The Music Cartel)
- "Motorhead" (Hawkwind cover) on Daze of the Underground (2003 Godreah Records)
- "The Stake" (Steve Miller Band cover) on Sucking the 70's – Back in the Saddle Again (2006 Small Stone Records)
"Not Fragile" and "Motorhead" included on re-release of Busse Woods.
- Dare, Tom (April 18, 2015). "Lori from Acid King on Desertfest, doom and David Bowie". Metal Hammer. Retrieved February 2, 2017.
Stoner metal pioneers Acid King emerged when the subgenre didn’t really exist yet.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Murphy, Tom. "Acid King Played Doom Rock Before It Was Doom Rock". Westword. Retrieved 17 June 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Wright, Michael. "Acid King, Twelve Years and Counting for the King". Zero Magazine. Archived from the original on 2006-02-11.