Acid for the Children
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
First edition cover
|Audio read by||Flea|
|Cover artist||Elaine Berkovitz Cunningham (photo)|
Albert Tang (design)
|Publisher||Grand Central Publishing|
|November 5, 2019|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|LC Class||ML419.F59 A3 2019|
Acid for the Children is the memoir of Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea. It was released on November 5, 2019 by Grand Central Publishing. An audiobook and E-book version has accompanied the release. The book was announced in early 2018 with a release date of September 25, 2018 and it was then pushed back to November 27, 2018. In September 2018, Flea announced that the book would now be released sometime in 2019 saying "Due to some scheduling conflicts, the release of my memoir has been delayed until next year. Will have a date as soon as possible.” Flea announced on August 7, 2019 through his Instagram that the book would be released on November 5, 2019.
In April 2014, Flea started writing his memoir. The book was expected to chronicle Flea's unconventional childhood (including his move from a "normal" life in the New York suburbs to a "bohemian" lifestyle in Los Angeles with his jazz-playing stepfather), his adventures in the L.A. streets, his "sometimes complex friendship and collaboration" with Chili Peppers co-founder Anthony Kiedis and the overall "tumultuous creative journey" of the band, which formed in 1983.
In 2018, Flea confirmed that the book would not detail his years with the Red Hot Chili Peppers and would instead focus on his life before the band. “It’s my great hope that it could be a book that could live beyond being a celebrity book or a rock star book and just stand on its own as a piece of literature,” Flea says of Acid for the Children, which he described as an origin story: “It ends where The Red Hot Chili Peppers begins.”
- "Acid for the Children by Flea". Grand Central Publishing. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Flea (5 November 2019). Acid for the Children: A Memoir. Grand Central Publishing. p. 2. ISBN 978-1-4555-3052-6.
- Your name here (5 November 2019). Acid for the Children: A Memoir: Flea: 9781455530533: Amazon.com: Books. ISBN 978-1455530533.
- "Flea on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers will publish 'Acid for the Children,' his memoir". Los Angeles Times. April 16, 2018. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Flea to Publish New Memoir". Pitchfork. April 14, 2018. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Flea memoir release date delayed to 2019". ABC News Radio Online. September 28, 2018. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- "Chili Peppers' Flea Writing His Memoirs". The Hollywood Reporter. April 2, 2018. Retrieved September 29, 2018.
- "Read an exclusive excerpt from Flea's upcoming book, Acid for the Children". Entertainment Weekly. September 11, 2018. Retrieved September 11, 2018.