|Author||Gareth L. Powell|
|26 December 2012|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
Ack-Ack Macaque is the third novel by the science fiction author Gareth L. Powell.
Ack-Ack Macaque is based on Powell's earlier short story of the same name, which won the Interzone reader's poll in 2007. The original short story is included as an appendix to the novel. The novel has aspects of alternate history as in this version of reality the United Kingdom and France merged in the 1950s to form the nation of Brittany. The macaque of the title is the star of a highly regarded, exclusive massively multiplayer online role-playing game (with the roguelike feature of character death being final) which is itself set in an alternate reality World War II. The main character in the novel is former journalist Victoria Valois, who attempts to track down the man who murdered her husband and stole her neural implant while the heir to the throne of Brittany becomes a fugitive after breaking into a Parisian research laboratory. As the novel progresses, these strands are drawn together and the true purpose of the macaque is revealed.
A sequel, Hive Monkey, is scheduled for 2014.
- "'Ack-Ack Macaque Tops Interzone Readers Poll'". garethlpowell.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "'Book Deal: Hive Monkey to Solaris'". garethlpowell.com. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- Eric Brown (11 January 2013). "Science fiction review roundup". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "'Macaque Attack'". Philip Reeve. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "BSFA Award Winners Announced". The British Science Fiction Association. Retrieved 2014-04-21.