||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)|
June 25, 1966
|Occupation||actor, producer, director, writer|
Life and career
A graduate of Hacettepe University Conservatory of Performing Arts Theatre Department, Aclan Bates later received an MA in Directing for Theatre and another in Theatre Education. He was a leading actor and director for the Turkish National Theatre in Ankara, directing Jean-Paul Sartre's The Flies and Bertolt Brecht's The Good Person of Szechwan.
After looking at the world through the lens of a camera, he decided that directing film could be far more exciting than working on the stage. To that end, Aclan moved to California and completed an MFA in Film Directing at the American Film Institute. He won Best Short at the Ankara International Film Festival with his thesis film, "Condemned." The Turkish National Theatre then invited him to direct their entry to the Black Sea Coast International Theatre Festival.
Aclan undertook a musical adaptation of George Orwell's Animal Farm, receiving critical acclaim and an invitation to open the fall theatre season with the production at Ankara's Grand Theatre. His stage adaptation of Franz Kafka's The Trial at Write Act Repertory received rave reviews in Los Angeles, a daring and unique project. Aclan is scheduled to direct plays for the Turkish National Theatre, and independent feature length films for Filmstar.
Stage and film work
- 2011 Performed in Taken 2 with Liam Neeson
- 2010 Directed Paolo Levi's Pinedus Affair
- 2009 Directed Jeanne Beckwith's A War Story at the Realto
- 2008 Directed Beth Henley's Crimes of the Heart
- 2007 Directed Melegin Sırları (Broken Angel) Feature length film starring Nehir Erdogan, Los Angeles and was featured as "Hakan"
- 2006 Taxi to Jannah Fountain Theatre as "Yazeed" Los Angeles
- 2006 Josephine Studio 52 as "Pepito" and "Juan Peron" Los Angeles
- 2006 Lincoln Heights ABC TV "lead" Los Angeles
- 2006 Directed Standing By for JLS Productions at the Matrix Theatre, Los Angeles
- 2005 Agır Roman, Turkish State Opera and Ballet, Los Angeles Production, Production Supervisor, Los Angeles
- 2005 Directed The Trial for Write Act Repertory Theatre: Los Angeles
- 2000–02 American Film Institute Hollywood, California Writer/Director
- 1991–2009 Turkish National Theatre, Ankara, Turkey
- 2003 Directed George Orwell’s Animal Farm
- 1998–99 Jules Feiffer's Little Murders as "Kenny"
- 1996–98 Luigi Pirandello's Liola as "Liola"
- 1997–98 Directed Jean-Paul Sartre's The Flies
- 1996–98 David Hare's Skylight as "Edward"
- 1995–97 Anton Chekhov's The Seagull as "Treplev"
- 1994–95 Victor Haim's The Visitor as "Mataresco
- 1994–95 Directed Bertolt Brecht's The Good Person of Szechwan
- 1993–94 Georg Büchner's Woyzeck as Charlatan
- 1992–93 Necip Fazıl Kısakürek's Bir Adam Yaratmak (The Making of a Man) as "Mansur"
- 1991–92 One-man play, Kus by Coskun Irmak, Karalarin Memetleri as "Ali" by Cahit Atay, Ay Isiginda Samata as "Erol" by Haldun Taner, Genc Osman in various roles
- 1995–96 Turkish Radio and Television Ankara, Turkey
- Prime Time TV series Ferhunde Hanimlar as "Tayfun"
- 1991–99 TRT and Private Stations Ankara, Turkey
- 2000—2002 American Film Institute, Directing. Hollywood, California. Masters of Fine Arts. Thesis Film: Condemned
- 1995–1999 Ankara University, Education Sciences Faculty. Education Programs & Training. Ankara, Turkey Masters of Arts. Thesis: Problems of Training Actors in Theatre Education Institutions
- 1991–1995 Hacettepe University, Ankara National Conservatory Theatre Department Ankara, Turkey Masters of Fine Arts Emphasis in Theatre Education and Directing
- 1987–1991 Hacettepe University, Ankara National Conservatory Theatre Department Ankara, Turkey. Bachelor of Arts
- Beth Henley, Crimes of the Heart
- David Mamet, Sexual Perversity in Chicago
- George Orwell, Animal Farm (Nelson Bond's stage adaptation)
- Sarah Ruhl, Eurydice – The Clean House
- Joe Masteroff, Cabaret
- Alan Ball, Five Women Wearing the Same Dress