Acoustical Society of America
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA) is an international scientific society founded in 1929 dedicated to generating, disseminating and promoting the knowledge of acoustics and its practical applications. The Society is primarily a voluntary organization of about 7500 members and attracts the interest, commitment, and service of many professionals.
The Society has 13 technical committees that represent specialized interests in the field of acoustics. The committees organize technical sessions at conferences and are responsible for the representation of their sub-field in ASA publications. The committees include:
- Acoustical oceanography
- Animal bioacoustics
- Architectural acoustics
- Biomedical acoustics
- Computational acoustics (Technical Specialty Group)
- Acoustical engineering
- Musical acoustics
- Physical acoustics
- Signal processing in acoustics
- Speech communication
- Structural acoustics and vibration
- Underwater acoustics
The Acoustical Society of America publishes a wide variety of material related to the knowledge and practical application of acoustics in physics, engineering, architecture, noise, oceanography, biology, speech and hearing, psychology and music.
- The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JASA)
- JASA Express Letters
- Proceedings of Meetings on Acoustics (POMA)
- Acoustics Today
- Acoustics Research Letters Online
- Noise Control
- Sound: Its Uses and Control
The ASA presents awards to individuals for contributions to the field of Acoustics. These include:
- Gold Medal
- Silver Medal
- Interdisciplinary Silver Medal – Helmholtz-Rayleigh Interdisciplinary Silver Medal
- R. Bruce Lindsay Award
- Wallace Clement Sabine Medal
- Pioneers of Underwater Acoustics Medal
- A. B. Wood Medal and Prize of the Institute of Acoustics
- Trent-Crede Medal
- von Békésy Medal
- Honorary Fellows
- Distinguished Service Citation
- Science Communication Award
- Rossing Prize in Acoustics Education
- David T. Blackstock Mentor Award
Most technical committees also sponsor awards for best student or early career presenter at each conference.
The ASA offers membership and conference attendance to students at a substantially reduced rate. Conference attendance is further promoted by travel subsidies and formal and informal student meetings and social activities. The ASA also expanded services to students in 2004 by introducing regional student chapters.
- "Brand Adoption". Acoustical Society of America.
- "Acoustical Society of America home page". Acoustical Society of America.
- "Governance". Acoustical Society of America.
- "Publications". Acoustical Society of America.
- "Awards". Acoustical Society of America.
- "Science Communication Awards". Acoustical Society of America Press Room.
- "Awards & Prizes". Education Committee.
- "Mentor Award". ASA Students.