Acraman Creek Conservation Park
|Acraman Creek Conservation Park|
Acraman Creek estuary
|Nearest town or city||Smoky Bay|
|Established||12 September 1991|
|Area||39.53 km2 (15.3 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department for Environment and Water|
|Website||Acraman Creek Conservation Park|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Acraman Creek Conservation Park is a protected area located in South Australia on the northern side of Streaky Bay on the western side of the Eyre Peninsula, about halfway between the towns of Ceduna and Streaky Bay.
The conservation park occupies land in Allotments 10 and 11 of Deposited Plan No. 30252 in the cadastral units of the Hundreds of Wallanippie and Haslam. It was proclaimed on 12 September 1991 under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 with its name being derived from Acraman Creek, a stream located within its boundaries. As of 2018, it covered an area of 39.53 square kilometres (15.26 sq mi).
It contains the Acraman Creek estuary, ocean beaches, sand dunes, mangrove, samphire and mallee habitats. It is an important feeding location for many coastal birds, including migratory waders such as sandpipers and stilts that journey from the Arctic Circle.
A bush camping ground and the ocean beach is accessible by conventional vehicles, but access to boat launching facilities at Port Lindsey on Acraman Creek requires a four-wheel drive. Slightly offshore is the remains of a shipwreck when whaling was performed in the area.
Activities in the conservation park include bush camping (permit required), fishing, boating, canoeing and birdwatching.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (refer 'DETAIL' tab )". CAPAD 2016. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Search results for 'Acraman Creek Conservation Park' with the following datasets selected - 'NPW and Conservation Properties', 'Suburbs and Localities' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Blevins, F.T. (12 September 1991). "NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE ACT 1972 SECTIONS 30 AND 43: CONSTITUTION OF, AND MINING IN, CONSERVATION PARK" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 796. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System Reserve List" (PDF). Government of South Australia. 9 March 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Acraman Creek Conservation Park - listing on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 19761)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 1992. Retrieved 29 August 2018.