Across the Universe (novel)
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback), Audiobook|
Across the Universe is a trilogy of young adult science fiction novels written by American author Beth Revis. Chronicling the life of Amy Martin aboard a generation ship hundreds of years in the future, Across the Universe, the first novel published in 2011 by Penguin Books, received a starred Kirkus review and made the New York Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books.
Hundreds of years in the future, the spaceship Godspeed travels toward a distant, earth-like planet with 100 cryogenically frozen settlers on board. Seventeen year old Amy, frozen along with her parents, wakes early and only to find herself in the middle of a strange, regimented society made up of those born on the ship over generations. With the help of Elder, the ship's only teenager and future leader, she must solve a murder mystery, and save the ship. They must hurry before the murderer kills any more people, and before time runs out of life
Books in this universe
- Across the Universe (2011)
- A Million Suns (2012)
- Shades of Earth (2013)
- The Body Electric (2014)
Short Fiction in this universe
- The other Elder
- Love is a choice
- Night swimming
- As They Slip Away 
Revis has also written short fiction that takes place in the universe of her trilogy, including As They Slip Away, a novella available as a free download from Penguin Teen, as well as short stories in the anthologies After (edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling), which includes The other Elder; Shards and Ashes (edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong), which includes Love is a choice; and Defy the Dark (edited by Sandra Mitchell), including Night swimming. Love is a choice is also available for free on Beth Revis' Wattpad.
Across the Universe debuted on the New York Times Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books at #7 in January 2011, and received a Kirkus starred review. It was long-listed for the Carnegie Medal, and chosen as a YALSA Teens Top Ten book for 2012.
When the final book in the series, Shades of Earth, received more pre-orders than the previous two books combined, Revis' publisher launched a copy of Across the Universe into space.
- "The Hardest Part/Coming to Town: Beth Revis on The Body Electric". Bull Spec: A Magazine of Speculative Fiction. 16 October 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "As They Slip Away". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- https://www.wattpad.com/story/14418816-love-is-a-choice | title=Love is a choice |
- Schuessler, Jennifer. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 30, 2011". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Starred Review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "The CILIP Carnegie Medal Nominations for 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "YALSA's Teens Top Ten 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Cowles, Gregory. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 29, 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Best Teen Books of 2012". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "See Beth Revis' 'Shades of Earth' launched into space". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 1, 2013.