Across the Universe (novel)
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback), Audiobook|
Across the Universe is a trilogy of young adult science fiction novels written by American author Beth Revis. Chronicling the life of Amy Martin aboard a generation ship hundreds of years in the future, Across the Universe, the first novel published in 2011 by Penguin Books, received a starred Kirkus review and made the New York Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books.
Hundreds of years in the future, the spaceship Godspeed travels toward a distant, earth-like planet with 100 cryogenically frozen settlers on board. Seventeen year old Amy, frozen along with her parents, wakes early and only to find herself in the middle of a strange, regimented society made up of those born on the ship over generations. With the help of Elder, the ship's only teenager and future leader, she must solve a murder mystery, and save the ship. They must hurry before the murderer kills anymore people, and before time runs out.
Books in this universe
- Across the Universe (2011)
- A Million Suns (2012)
- Shades of Earth (2013)
- The Body Electric (2014)
Short Fiction in this universe
- As They Slip Away 
- Shards and Ashes
Revis has also written short fiction that takes place in the universe of her trilogy, including As They Slip Away, a novella available as a free download from Penguin Teen, as well as short stories in the anthologies Defy the Dark (edited by Sandra Mitchell), After (edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling), and Shards and Ashes (edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong).
Across the Universe debuted on the New York Times Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books at #7 in January 2011, and received a Kirkus starred review. It was long-listed for the Carnegie Medal, and chosen as a YALSA Teens Top Ten book for 2012.
When the final book in the series, Shades of Earth, received more pre-orders than the previous two books combined, Revis' publisher launched a copy of Across the Universe into space.
- "The Hardest Part/Coming to Town: Beth Revis on The Body Electric". Bull Spec: A Magazine of Speculative Fiction. 16 October 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "As They Slip Away". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Schuessler, Jennifer. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 30, 2011". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Starred Review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "The CILIP Carnegie Medal Nominations for 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "YALSA's Teens Top Ten 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Cowles, Gregory. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 29, 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Best Teen Books of 2012". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "See Beth Revis' 'Shades of Earth' launched into space". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 1, 2013.