Action (2019 film)
|Directed by||Sundar C.|
|Produced by||R. Ravindran|
|Screenplay by||Sundar C. |
|Story by||Sundar C.|
|Music by||Hiphop Tamizha|
|Edited by||N. B. Srikanth|
Action is a 2019 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film directed by Sundar C. and produced by R. Ravindran under his banner Trident Arts. The film stars Vishal and Tamannaah as intelligence officers who together embark on a globetrotting mission to hunt down a terrorist. The film co-stars Aishwarya Lekshmi (in her Tamil film debut), Akanksha Puri, Ramki, Yogi Babu, and Kabir Duhan Singh. The music was composed by Hiphop Tamizha. It also marks Vishal's second collaborations with Sundar C. after Aambala and with Tamannaah after Kaththi Sandai.
Action was released theatrically on 15 November 2019. Receiving praise for some of the action sequences and criticism for the execution, it was both a critical and commercial failure, while its Hindi dubbed version was a success on YouTube.
The film opens with Colonel Subhash fighting off a group of men in Istanbul and rescuing his colleague Lieutenant Diya. He is then seen interrogating one of the men. The film then goes into a flashback before Subhash proceeds to shoot the last man.
A few weeks ago, Subhash's father, the chief minister of Tamil Nadu, retires to be succeeded by his elder son Saravanan. Subhash calls his whole family along with his lover, Meera. Meanwhile, Diya is also shown to be in silent love with Subhash. During a campaign involving the prime minister candidate, Saravanan finds out that his friend Deepak has flown away after extracting 40 billion rupees on loan. When he calls Deepak, Deepak instead tells him to get out of the ceremony. On the other hand, Subhash tries to converse with Meera during the campaign and sends her a message. Realizing she left her phone in the car, Meera goes to the parking lot where her phone gets exchanged with that of a killer. After noting the killer duo's vehicle number, Meera tries to escape but gets attacked and brutally stomped to death by a woman disguised as a cop. Retrieving the phone, she gives a call to the cell phone bomb placed in a cooler at the stage. The bomb goes off, knocking down Saravanan and his family while killing the prime minister candidate. Subhash gets shattered to find Meera's corpse, while Saravanan gets framed for the assassination with the help of Deepak. Having recorded a conversation with Deepak in which the latter told him to escape from the stage, Saravanan calls a press conference at his house amidst violent protests but is found hanging in his room, thus making the media believe he was involved.
Subhash then finds out about the killer woman through the vehicle number Meera noted on her palm. Looking at the tattoo on her neck in the CCTV footage at the vehicle store and her phone's screen, Subhash manages to track her, through further investigations, to be a wanted contract killer in London. With the help of a hacker Jack, Subhash manages to trace the woman, fight off her henchmen and kill her by hanging her in the same way she killed and hanged Saravanan to death. Subhash then arrives in Istanbul and is joined by his brother-in-law and Diya. Targeting Deepak's account, they plan to pull off a money extracting mission. The mission goes as planned and Subhash succeeds in retrieving money from Deepak's account. However, when the trio goes to meet Deepak, the latter is found murdered and a chase ensues, resulting in a heroic escape. Subhash realises a cop posing as a blind man has killed Deepak and framed him. They find that the cop is none other than the city commissioner of Istanbul. Using Diya as a bait, Subhash lures the cop and his henchmen into a trap and fights them off. Back to the present, Subhash threatens to kill the cop who then reveals it was Syed Ibrahim Malik, a Pakistan-based wanted terrorist, the real conspirator behind the explosion.
Informing his captain, Subhash then decides to bring Malik in on his own and accompanied by Diya, goes to Lahore, Pakistan illegally where an undercover agent introduces him to Malik's location and armed forces. Learning of Malik's daughter's wedding, Diya enters the house with a fake identity card during the celebrations and secretly drops flammable balls that lead to a fire with the sunrise the next day. Malik is ordered by the Pakistan Military general Tahir Iqbal to accompany his officers to a safe house. Using the opportunity, Subhash chases after the vehicle and successfully takes Malik hostage. Following a car chase, he manages to escape while Diya and the agent wait for him at the airport. Malik is however left behind in the car and Tahir admits him to a hospital where he realises it's his body double who was ordered by Malik himself to accompany Tahir's army, due to being held on gunpoint by Subhash. The two fought, following which Subash captured him. Both disguised, they board the plane before Tahir intervenes and orders to stop it after the airport authorities identify Subhash. The flight to India is stopped and Tahir rushes inside, only to realise Subhash and his team took off in a flight to Nepal. Landing in Nepal, Subhash hands over Malik to the Indian Army. During an event honouring Saravanan after more conspirators are arrested, it is revealed Subhash shot Malik in a staged escape.
- Vishal as Col.Subash, Indian Army Intelligence officer, and Saravanan's younger brother
- Tamannaah as Lt.Diya, Subhash's partner
- Akanksha Puri as Kaira, a killer who kills people for money
- Ramki as Saravanan, Subhash's elder brother, and Deputy CM
- Chaya Singh as Kayalvizhi, Saravanan's wife, Meera's elder sister, and Subash's sister-in-law
- Aishwarya Lekshmi as Meera, Subhash's fiancee(love interest) and Kayalvizhi's younger sister
- Aarav Chowdhary as Imran, an Indian agent in Pakistan
- Sayaji Shinde as Lt. General Rehman, Subash's chief
- Kabir Duhan Singh as Syed Ibrahim Malik [Malik], a global terrorist who hides in Pakistan and his body double
- Sha Ra as Maya Kannan, Subash's brother-in-law and college mate who works in Turkey for the Indian Embassy
- Yogi Babu as Jack, an Indian hacker
- Rajasri Warrier as Subhash's sister and Maya Kannan's wife
- Pala. Karuppiah as Chief Minister, Subash's father
- Vincent Asokan as Deepak Mehta, Saravanan's friend
- Bharath Reddy as Police Officer, Subhash's friend
- Ashwanth Ashokkumar as Ashwanth, Kayalvizhi's son
- Yuri Suri as Tahir Iqbal Pakistan army general who takes the lead of Malik's house security
- Ravi Venkatraman as Commissioner
- Sundar C. as a passenger in a cameo appearance
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||30 October 2019 (Tamil)|
1 November 2019 (Telugu)
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Length||18:36 / 18:32|
|Hiphop Tamizha chronology|
The soundtrack album is composed by Hiphop Tamizha, collaborating with Vishal and Sundar. C for their previous outing Aambala. The lyrics were written by Pa. Vijay, Hiphop Tamizha, Arivu, Paul B Sailus, and Navz47.
The album features five tracks and all of them were released as singles, before being released as an album on 30 October 2019. The Telugu version was released on 1 November 2019.
Telugu actor Rana Daggubati making his debut as a singer, crooning the rap portion for the Telugu version of the song "Lights Camera Action", while the original version of the song, was performed by Hiphop Adhi and Paul B Sailus.
|1.||"Nee Sirichalum"||Pa. Vijay||Sadhana Sargam, Jonita Gandhi, Srinisha||4:38|
|2.||"Lights Camera Action" (Rap: Hiphop Tamizha, Paul B Sailus)||Hiphop Tamizha, Paul B Sailus||Kaushik Krish, Rajan Chelliah||3:01|
|3.||"Maula Maula"||Pa. Vijay||Nikhita Gandhi, Kutle Khan, Bamba Bakya||3:51|
|4.||"Azhage"||Hiphop Tamizha||Nakul Abhyankar||4:49|
|5.||"Fiyah Fiyah"||Hiphop Tamizha, Navz47, Arivu||Navz47||3:06|
|1.||"Yetu Nadusthunna"||Chandrabose||M. M. Manasi||4:33|
|2.||"Maula Maula"||Bhuvanachandra||Bamba Bakya, Nivas, M. M. Manasi||3:52|
|3.||"Lights Camera Action" (Rap: Rana Daggubati, Hiphop Tamizha, Roll Rida)||Hiphop Tamizha, Bhuvanchandra, Paul B Sailus||Kaushik Krish, Rajan Chelliah||2:57|
|4.||"Fiyah Fiyah"||Rajshri Sudhakar||Snigdha, Navz47||3:07|
|5.||"Sogasa"||Rajshri Sudhakar||Nakul Abhyankar||4:51|
Action received negative reviews from critics. Firstpost gave 2 out of 5 stars stating "Vishal, Tamannaah starrer is a formulaic entertainer with no proper storyline. If only the film had a script with some logic and was a bit racier, it could have been a time pass entertainer". The Times of India gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "A handful of action set pieces, set in exotic locales, strung together by a semblance of a plot. If you dig the corniness of the lines and the OTT-ness of the stunts, then you might be able to enjoy the film". Sify gave 2 out of 5 stars stating "Action is a below-average action thriller from Sundar C- Vishal combo". Baradwaj Rangan of Film Companion South wrote "Like any self-respecting popcorn entertainer, there are OTT moments aplenty. Killer mehndi cones? Bring ’em on. But there’s always a little surprise around the corner".
Action failed commercially; Made on a budget of INR 44 crore, it collected INR 7.7 crore in Tamil Nadu box office and INR 4 crore in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. Having assured the producers he would bear the losses if the film did not collect a minimum of INR 20 crore and compensate by doing a film for them, the production company Trident Arts filed a petition against Vishal for making the film under his own banner. Following the petition, Vishal was ordered by the Madras High Court to compensate for the losses incurred.
- "Action (2019)". Irish Film Classification Office.
- "Tamannaah to team up with Vishal again". India Today. 8 September 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2019.
- "Vishal plays a Commando in Sundar C's 'Action'!". Sify. 15 August 2019. Archived from the original on 15 August 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Action movie review and ratings: Live updates". International Business Times. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Not lost in translation: Why the Hindi dubbed versions of South Indian films are in demand". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 October 2020.
The Hindi-dubbed version of Tamil film Action starring Vishal and Tamannaah Bhatia — a film which underperformed critically and commercially upon release — has 74 million views on YouTube in under three weeks of its upload.
- "Rana Turns Rapper For Vishal!". Mirchi9. 10 November 2019. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Action Teaser - Vishal, Tamannaah I Hiphop Tamizha - Sundar.C - Official". YouTube. Lahari Music. 15 September 2019.
- "Action Official Trailer". YouTube. 27 October 2019.
- "Vishal`s Action pushed to November!". Sify Movies. 19 September 2019. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- "Action Review: Here is what critics say about Vishal and Tamannaah-starrer". International Business Times, Singapore Edition. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 26 April 2020.
- "Action movie review: Vishal, Tamannaah starrer is a formulaic entertainer with no proper storyline". Firstpost. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Action Movie Review". Times of India. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Action review: A below-average action thriller". Sify. 15 November 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2019.
- "Action Movie Review: Vishal And Sundar C Deliver What The Title Promises In An Enjoyably OTT Thriller". FilmCompanion.
- "Action: Madras HC orders actor Vishal to compensate losses incurred". India Today. Retrieved 9 October 2020.
- "ACTION アクション！！". Curiouscope.jp.