|Directed by||Vipul Shah|
|Produced by||Vipul Shah|
|Written by||Suresh Nair
Aditya Roy Kapoor
|Music by||Pritam Chakraborty|
|Edited by||Amitabh Shukla|
|Distributed by||PVR Pictures
Hari Om Entertainment Co.
Sunshine Pictures Pvt. Ltd
|Budget||₹ 600 million|
|Box office||₹ 400 million|
Action Replayy (formerly Action Replay) is an Indian science fiction romantic comedy film directed by Vipul Shah and starring Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai in the lead roles. Aditya Roy Kapoor, Neha Dhupia, Om Puri, Kirron Kher and Rajpal Yadav play supporting roles in the film. The film was scheduled for release coinciding with Diwali 2010.
The film is an uncredited remake of the 1985 Hollywood film Back to the Future. Director Vipul Shah however insists as always that it is an adaptation of a Gujarati play of the same name and by H. G. Wells' The Time Machine.
The story focuses on Kishen (Akshay Kumar), a well-to-do businessman, who is unhappily married to Mala (Aishwarya Rai). They have a grown-up son, Bunty (Aditya Roy Kapoor), who does not want to get married because of the loveless relationship between his parents. Bunty's girlfriend, Tanya (Sudeepa Singh), keeps proposing to him but he always rejects. On their 35th anniversary, Kishen and Mala get in an argument because of her friend Kundan (Rannvijay Singh). Kundan had been in love with Mala for 30 years and still dislikes Kishen. This leads to a fight between Kishen and Kundan. After the fight, Tanya takes Bunty to her grandfather, Anthony Gonsalves (Randhir Kapoor), who happens to be a scientist and he is working on a time machine.
Anthony asks Bunty why he refuses to get married. Bunty says that he is scared of marriage because his parents seem so unhappy with theirs. When Bunty returns home, Kishen and Mala are fighting again. But this time it goes too far and they decide to get a divorce. When Bunty hears this, he runs back to Anthony's lab to use the time machine and go back in time, so that he can make his parents fall in love. Without Anthony's supervision, Bunty enters the time machine and goes back to a time before his parents got married. He finds his grandfather's house, where he sees Kishen. Bunty realises that the younger Kishen is a nerd. Then he sees the younger Mala and notices that she is attractive as well as spirited. Mala keeps making fun of Kishen. Bunty makes Kishen over into a 'cool dude' with the help of Mala's friend Mona (Neha Dhupia). While helping them, Mona falls in love with Bunty.
Bunty creates a plan to help Mala realise her love for Kishen. He tells Kishen to ignore Mala, while she is becoming friendlier towards him. The plan succeeds in awakening Mala's feelings and she realises her love for Kishen. She tells Mona about her feelings. However, Kishen and Mala's parents are against love marriages and, therefore, do not accept their relationship. So the lovers, helped by Bunty, decide to elope. Kundan takes Mala's mother Bholi Devi (Kirron Kher) and servant Bhikhu (Rajpal Yadav), along with Kishen's father Rai Bahdur (Om Puri), to chase the love birds. At the end of the chase, Kishen slaps Kundan for his bad behaviour. Their parents accept Kishen and Mala's relationship. Mona proposes to Bunty but he tells her that he loves another woman, who is waiting for him. Bunty then uses the time machine to return to the future. As expected, his parents are deeply in love with each other. But, unexpectedly, Mona and Kundan are also married to each other. Bunty then takes Tanya aside, proposes to her, and is accepted.
- Akshay Kumar as Kishen
- Aishwarya Rai as Mala
- Aditya Roy Kapoor as Bunty
- Neha Dhupia as Mona
- Sudeepa Singh as Tanya Gonsalves
- Om Puri as Rai Bahadur
- Kirron Kher as Bholi Devi
- Rannvijay Singh as Kundan
- Rajpal Yadav as Bhiku
- Randhir Kapoor as Professor Anthony Gonsalves
- Alok Kumar as Sri Kumaran
- Gopinath Bhalla as Fruit Vendor
Action Replayy mainly received negative reviews from critics.. Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN rated it 1.5/5: "Sorely lacking in drama and genuine humour, Action Replayy is mind-numbingly dull because there's no conflict or plot progression, and everything seems to fall into place too conveniently". Mayank Shekhar of Hindustan Times rated it 1/5 "Scenes may well be dull and weak in parts. And they are. But for a musical, the soundtrack is pure third rate". Raja Sen of Rediff rated it 1/5: "This is, first and foremost, a tacky film. The tastelessness flowing right down into the script, however, makes for a very different league of disaster". Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama rated it 3/5: "Action Replayy is a light-hearted rom-com that should be viewed without really seeking much rationale or logic behind every action and reaction". Nikhat Kazmi of The Times of India rated it 2.5/5: "Action Replayy needed a much smarter script to keep the laughter ringing".
Action Replayy's opening day collections in India were Rs 48.0 million, one of the worst openings ever for an Akshay Kumar starrer. Since the movie released on the day of Diwali, collections were lower than normal, however, it picked up pace at the box office on Saturday and its day 2 collections substantially increased to Rs 69 million. The film was declared a flop by box office India after grossing 480 million.
Awards and nominations
- Best Male Playback Singer – Daler Mehndi for "Zor Ka Jhatka"
- Best Female Playback Singer – Richa Sharma for "Zor Ka Jhatka"
|1||"Zor Ka Jhatka"||Daler Mehndi, Richa Sharma||4:09|
|2||"O Bekhabar"||Shreya Ghoshal||4:29|
|4||"Chhan Ke Mohalla"||Sunidhi Chauhan, Ritu Pathak||5:16|
|5||"Tera Mera Pyaar"||Karthik, Mahalakshmi Iyer, Antara Mitra||5:57|
|6||"Dhak Dhak Dhak"||Mika Singh||4:14|
|7||"Luk Chup Jaana"||KK, Tulsi Kumar||4:22|
|8||"I'm Dog Gone Crazy"||Suraj Jagan||3:26|
|9||"Baaki Main Bhool Gayi"||Shreya Ghoshal||3:43|
|10||"Zor Ka Jhatka – Remix"||Master Saleem, Richa Sharma||3:54|
|11||"Chhan Ke Mohalla – Remix"||Sunidhi Chauhan, Ritu Pathak||4:49|
|12||"Tera Mera Pyaar – Remix"||Karthik, Antara Mitra||5:57|
|13||"Nakhre – Remix"||Francois Castellino||5:02|
- "Action Replay Sold To PVR For 26 Crore". BoxOfficeIndia. 28 August 2010. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Box Office India Report
- Syed Firdaus Ashraf (6 April 2009). "Warner Bros warn Indian producers". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 8 April 2009. Retrieved 6 April 2009.
- Akshay & Aishwarya's romantic tryst 26 May 2010
- "Be positive". The Hindu. 19 August 2010.
- Bordoloi, Satyen K. (5 November 2010). "'Action Replayy' – back to the future of Bollywood". Indo-Asian News Service.
- Mayank-Shekhar-s-review-Action-Replay 5 November 2010
- Why-is-Vipul-Shah-guarding-look-of-Action-Replay 9 February 2010
- "Akshay, Ash stranded in Manali!" Times of India / Kunal M Shah, Mumbai Mirror, 15 July 2010.
- Masand, Rajeev. "Action Replayy Review". CNN IBN. Archived from the original on 8 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Shekhar, Mayank. "Action Replayy Review". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Sen, Raja. "Action Replayy Review". Rediff. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Action Replayy Review". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 12 November 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (4 November 2010). "Action Replayy Review". Times of India. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Kazmi, Nikhat. "Action Replayy Review". businessofcinema. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- "Nominations for Zee Cine Awards 2011". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- "Action Replayy Audio/Songs Listing". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 15 November 2010. Retrieved 25 October 2010.