Action of 11 November 1779
On 11 November, Captain Alexander Graeme in Tartar, belonging to the squadron under Commodore George Johnstone, was off Lisbon when he sighted the Spanish 38-gun frigate Santa Margarita. Tartar, with the wind behind her, caught up and engaged the Spanish vessel. After around two hours of fighting Santa Marguerita was almost dismasted when her captain decided to strike her colours.
- Winfield. British Warships. p. 213.
- Colledge. Ships of the Royal Navy. p. 306.
- Allen 255
- Allen, Joseph (1853). Battles of the British Navy. 1. H.G. Bohn.
- Beatson, Robert (1804). Naval and Military Memoirs of Great Britain, From 1727 to 1783. 6. Longman, Hurst, Rees and Orme.
- Winfield, Rif (2007). British Warships of the Age of Sail 1714–1792: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth. ISBN 1-86176-295-X.