Active Interest Media
|Founder||Wind Point Partners, Efrem Zimbalist|
|Headquarters||Flatiron Parkway, Boulder|
|Efrem Zimbalist III CEO|
Andy Clurman COO
Brian Selstrom CFO
Pat Fox VP/GM Operations
Jason Brown VP/GM Digital
|Owner||Wind Point Partners|
Number of employees
Active Interest Media (AIM) is a publisher specialized on "niche enthusiast magazines" (i.e. magazines targeted at hobbyists).
The company was formed in 2003 by private-equity investment firm Wind Point Partners by the acquisition of Sabot Publishing, a "special interest" publisher based in Richmond, VA which had been established in 1999 by James Causey and Colonnade Capital. In July 2017, the company announced that it had acquired the United States Team Roping Championships and the TRIAD Classification Agency.
Active Interest Media publications are organized in six "groups", Equestrianism, Healthy Living (nutrition, wellness, yoga, bodybuilding, martial arts); besides magazines, they also market martial arts videos and books, Home Buyer Group (home improvement, architecture, interior design etc.); they also organise "log-home show seminars", Marine Group (sailing, yachts, etc.), Outdoor Group (hiking, backpacking, climbing), and Mountain Group (snow sports) Ski Magazine and Warren Miller Entertainment; producers of outdoor/winter sports movies and TV shows.
In March 2017, Active Interest Media sold its Yachting Promotions Inc. division to Informa for $133 million.The sale included the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, Yachts Miami Beach, the Palm Beach International Boat Show, the St. Petersburg Power and Sailboat Show, and the Suncoast Boat Show.
On 30 April 2013, Active Interest Media purchased Warren Miller Entertainment and Nastar. In 2015, Active Interest Media purchased August Home Publishing. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer is Efrem Zimbalist III (the son of Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.), formerly of Times Mirror Magazines, a subsidiary of Times Mirror.
- "Sabot Publishing Inc. was acquired by Cruz Bay Publishing Inc. Sabot was established by Commonwealth Investors II in during 1999 as a media company whose objective is to acquire leading specialty magazines. Sabot's principal focus is on consumer magazines with circulation under 100,000 which are leaders in their market niche. Sabot Communications has acquired Black Belt magazine, a martial arts publication, Ohara Publications, Southwest Art magazine, and Garlinghouse." insideview.com 2013-02-06 Archived 2013-04-11 at Archive.today. "Cruz Bay Publishing, a subsidiary of newly created Active Interest Media (AIM), is headed by Efrem 'Skip' Zimbalist III" AIM press release
- Storum, Doug (12 July 2017). "Active Interest Media acquires U.S. Team Roping Championships". BizWest. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- Harvey, Ellen (1 September 2013). "Corner Office: President Andrew Clurman on the future of Active Interest Media". Publishing Executive. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- PixelMags Signs Another Content Partner for Readr(R): Active Interest Media Commits Their Entire Portfolio for AnyTime(R) (press release, marketwatch.com)
- Hall, Tom (3 March 2017). "Informa acquires major US yacht shows from active interest media". Exhibition World. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Informa acquires 5 major US yacht shows for $133 million". Yacht Harbour. 2 March 2017. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "Active Interest Media buys SKI, Skiing, Warren Miller Entertainment". The Balance Sheet.
- "Des Moines publisher of Woodsmith magazine sold". desmoinesregister.com.