This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developed by||World Wide Web Consortium|
|Introduced||January 23, 2018|
ActivityPub is an open, decentralized social networking protocol based on Pump.io's ActivityPump protocol. It provides a client/server API for creating, updating and deleting content, as well as a federated server-to-server API for delivering notifications and content.
ActivityPub is a standard for the Internet in the Social Web Networking Group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). At an earlier stage, the name of the protocol was "ActivityPump", but it was felt that ActivityPub better indicated the cross-publishing purpose of the protocol. It learned from the experiences with the older standard called OStatus.
Federated (Server-to-Server) Server
- Mastodon, a social networking software, implemented ActivityPub in version 1.6, released on 10 September 2017. It is intended that ActivityPub offer more security for private messages than the previous OStatus protocol does.
- Pleroma, a social networking software implementing ActivityPub.
- Misskey, a social networking software implementing ActivityPub.
- Hubzilla, a community CMS software platform, implemented ActivityPub from version 2.8 (October 2017) with a plugin.
- Nextcloud, a federated service for file hosting.
- PeerTube, a federated service for video streaming.
- Pixelfed, a federated service for image sharing.
- Friendica, a social networking software, implemented ActivityPub in its development branch.
- Osada, a social networking software implementing ActivityPub
The following solutions are clear client based implementations of ActivityPub:
- dokielie a client side editor using WebAnnotaion and ActivityPub.
- go-fed a library that implements ActivityStreams and ActivityPub in Go.
The following solutions are clear server based implementations of ActivityPub:
- microblog.pub is under development and a self-hosted, single-user microblog implementation for a basic ActivityPub server.
- distbin is a distributed pastebin service implemented ActivityPub.
- Comparison of software and protocols for distributed social networking
- Comparison of microblogging services
- "Sandstorm and the Social Web". zenhack.net.
- "W3C Recommendation 23 January 2018".
- Tilley, Sean (23 September 2017). "A quick guide to The Free Network".
- "Server-Server - ActivityPub implementation reports". Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "dokieli - homepage". Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "ActivityStreams & ActivityPub in golang, oh my!". Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "microblog.pub - homepage". Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "distbin - about page". Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "Socialwg - W3C Wiki". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "ActivityPub". www.w3.org. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- "ActivityPub Rocks!". activitypub.rocks. Retrieved 2017-11-05.
- Contribute to activitypub development by creating an account on GitHub, World Wide Web Consortium, 2017-11-02, retrieved 2017-11-05