This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An activity book is a type of book, generally aimed at children, which contains interactive content such as games, puzzles, quizzes, pictures to colour and other elements that involve writing or drawing in the book itself. The book may, or may not, have a loose narrative or contain other non-interactive elements structured around the interactive elements. Activity books may be made for entertainment, education or a mixture of both.
Specific types of activity books include colouring books and puzzle books. A book is normally referred to as an activity book if it combines a variety of interactive elements and does not fall neatly into one of these more specific categories.
Activity books are typically centred around a particular theme. This may be a generic theme, e.g. dinosaurs, or based on a toy, television show, book, or game.
For example, the Where's Wally? series of books (known as Where's Waldo? in the USA) by Martin Handford consists of both puzzle books, wherein the reader must search for characters hidden in pictures, and activity books such as Where's Waldo?: The Ultimate Fun Book, which include a wider range of games and activities as well as puzzles. In 2018, Nintendo announced its intention to publish activity books based on its trademarked characters and games. Other franchises for which a number of activity books are available include:
- Books by Julia Donaldson
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney
- DC Comics
- Cbeebies television shows, e.g. Abney and Teal
- Horrible Histories series by Terry Deary
- Wikijunior:Maze and Drawing Book at Wikibooks
- "Who says print is dead? Nintendo turns its attention to kids' activity books". Digital Trends. 2018-05-04. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- Donaldson, Julia (2018-05-03). Superworm Sticker Activity Book. Axel Scheffler. Alison Green Books. ISBN 9781407184647.
- Kinney, Jeff (2011-06-09). Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Do-It-Yourself Book (1st ed.). London: Puffin. ISBN 9780141339665.
- THE LEGO® BATMAN MOVIE: Choose Your Super Hero Doodle Activity Book (UK ed.). Egmont. 2017-01-12. ISBN 9781405286251.
- Marvel The Avengers Ultimate Factivity Collection (1st ed.). DK Children. 2015-03-02. ISBN 9780241007587.
- The Adventures of Abney & Teal: Busy Days Sticker Activity Book. Walker Entertainment. 2014-08-07. ISBN 9781406356571.
- "Scholastic Children's Books: Horrible Histories". Archived from the original on 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
|This article relating to library science or information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|