An activity stream is a list of recent activities performed by an individual, typically on a single website. For example, Facebook's News Feed is an activity stream. Since the introduction of the News Feed on September 6, 2006, other major websites have introduced similar implementations for their own users. Since the proliferation of activity streams on websites, there have been calls to standardize the format so that websites could interact with a stream provided by another website. The Activity Streams project, for example, is an effort to develop an activity stream protocol to syndicate activities across social Web applications. Several major websites with activity stream implementations have already opened up their activity streams to developers to use, including Facebook and MySpace.
Though activity stream arises from social networking, nowadays it has become an essential part of business software. Enterprise social software is used in different types of companies to organize their internal communication and acts as an important addition to traditional corporate intranet. Such major collaboration software like Jive Software, Yammer, eXo Platform or Chatter offer activity stream as a separate product. At the same time other major software providers, such as tibbr, Central Desktop, Bitrix and Wrike offer activity stream as an integrated part of their collaboration software solution.
- Ektron CMS400.NET Release 8.0 adds activity streams to its social software suite
- eXo Platform Open Source Activity Streams Software
- Facebook's News Feed
- Salesforce.com's Chatter
- Traction TeamPage Release 5.0 adds activity streams to Enterprise 2.0 social software platform
- Michael Arrington (September 6, 2006). "Facebook Users Revolt, Facebook Replies". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "Atom Activity Base Schema (Draft)". Activity Streams. Archived from the original on March 14, 2010. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Juan Carlos Perez (April 27, 2009). "Facebook opens up 'activity stream' to external developers". Computer World. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- Juan Carlos Perez (December 9, 2009). "MySpace Opens Activity Stream to External Developers". PC World. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "The Modern User Experience for the Enterprise and the Web" (PDF). Oracle.com. January 2011. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- "Forrester research". tibco.com.
- David F Carr. "Yammer, Chatter, Tibbr Ranked Top Social Activity Streams". Information Weekdate=May 18, 2012.
- "Release delivers eMarketing Suite and builds on CMS400.NET's social software platform" (Company press release). November 9, 2009.
- "Salesforce.com Heralds The Activity Stream - Chatter Comes out of Beta". ReadWriteWeb. June 22, 2010. Retrieved July 11, 2010.
- "Traction TeamPage 5.0 Delivers Integrated Social Networking and Collaboration with New Generation Interface Technology" (Company press release). June 15, 2010.