Acts 15:22–24 in Latin (left column) and Greek (right column) in Codex Laudianus, written about AD 550.
|Book||Acts of the Apostles|
|Christian Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Christian part||5|
Acts 16 is the sixteenth chapter of the Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records the second missionary journey of Paul, together with Silas and Timothy. The book containing this chapter is anonymous but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that Luke composed this book as well as the Gospel of Luke.
- Codex Vaticanus (AD 325–350)
- Codex Sinaiticus (330–360)
- Codex Bezae (c. 400)
- Codex Alexandrinus (c. 400–440)
- Codex Ephraemi Rescriptus (c. 450; extant: verses 1–36)
- Papyrus 127 (5th century; extant: verses 1–4, 13–40)
- Codex Laudianus (c. 550)
This chapter mentions the following places (in order of appearance):
The second missionary journey of Paul took place in c. AD 49.
- Then he came to Derbe and Lystra. And behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a certain Jewish woman who believed, but his father was Greek.
- "Timothy" or "Timotheus" is the son of Eunice, a Jewish woman whose name is mentioned in 2 Timothy 1:5.
The Man of Macedonia
Verses 9–10 record a vision in which the Paul is said to have seen a 'man of Macedonia' pleading with him, saying, “Come over to Macedonia and help us”. The passage reports that Paul and his companions responded immediately to the invitation. The passage is considered to echo Joshua 10:6 in which the men of Gibeon sent to Joshua saying " ... come up to us quickly, save us and help us". The first seal of Massachusetts Bay Colony had an American Indian with a scroll coming out over his mouth with the words "Come over and help us", also said  to echo the words of the man of Macedonia.
- Lydia of Thyatira
- Paul the Apostle
- Related Bible parts: Acts 14, Acts 15, 2 Timothy 1, 2 Timothy 3
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
- John Arthur Thomas Robinson (1919–1983). "Redating the New Testament". Westminster Press, 1976. 369 pages. ISBN 978-1-57910-527-3
- Acts 16:1 NKJV
- Selwyn, E. C. The Christian Prophets at Philippi. Expositor, June, 1901, pp. 415–21
- Stockbridge Mohican History, 'The Seal of the Massachusetts Bay Colony: "Come Over and Help Us' http://www.stockmohistory.com/the-seal-of-the-massachusetts-bay-colony-come-over-and-help-us/ Archived 2015-01-07 at the Wayback Machine accessed 19 September 2015
- Acts 16:31