|Birth name||Adam Keefe Horovitz|
|Also known as|
|Born||October 31, 1966|
New York City, New York, U.S.
Adam Keefe Horovitz (born October 31, 1966), better known as Ad-Rock or King Ad-Rock, is an American rapper, guitarist and actor. He was a member of the hip hop group Beastie Boys. He is married to musician and feminist activist Kathleen Hanna.
Horovitz was born and raised on Park Avenue, Manhattan, New York, the son of Doris (née Keefe) and playwright Israel Horovitz. His sister is film producer Rachael Horovitz. His father is Jewish, whereas his mother, who was of Irish descent, was Roman Catholic. He was raised secular.
Horovitz began his music career with a stint in the punk rock band The Young and the Useless, who would often perform with Beastie Boys. In 1982, Beastie Boys guitarist John Berry quit and Horovitz replaced him. He was only 16 at the time. After Horovitz joined the band, Beastie Boys changed their sound, evolving from a hardcore punk band to a more hip-hop oriented group. The band was signed to Def Jam, and released their debut album Licensed to Ill in 1986. The album was a huge commercial success, and spawned six hit singles. Seven albums followed, and by 2010 Beastie Boys had sold 22 million records in the United States alone, and 40 million worldwide. In 2012, Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
In addition to his work with Beastie Boys, Horovitz also remixes numerous tracks for other artists under the alias 41 Small Stars. He plays bass in The Tender Moments, the backing band of New York-based cabaret performer Bridget Everett.
Horovitz has acted in several motion pictures and television shows. Some of his roles include Tim 'Chino' Doolan in Lost Angels (1989), Sam in Roadside Prophets (1992), Repulski in Godspeed (2007), Fletcher in While We're Young (2014), and Nick in Golden Exits (2017).
In 2020, he was featured in the documentary Have a Good Trip 
Horovitz was married to actress Ione Skye from 1992 to 1995. They separated in 1995 and divorced in 1999. Since 1997 he has been involved with riot grrrl artist Kathleen Hanna; they married in 2006. Horovitz is featured prominently in The Punk Singer, a 2013 documentary film about Hanna's life and career; he even shot a scene himself to show Hanna's distressed reaction to the medication she was taking to treat Lyme disease.
- with Beastie Boys
- Licensed to Ill (1986)
- Paul's Boutique (1989)
- Check Your Head (1992)
- Ill Communication (1994)
- Hello Nasty (1998)
- To the 5 Boroughs (2004)
- The Mix-Up (2007)
- Hot Sauce Committee Part Two (2011)
- with BS 2000
- Lost Angels (1989) as Tim 'Chino' Doolan
- Roadside Prophets (1992) as Sam
- Who's the Man? (1993) as Bryant (cameo)
- Godspeed (2007) as Repulski
- While We're Young (2014) as Fletcher
- Golden Exits (2017) as Nick
- Beastie Boys Story (2020) as Himself
- "Ad-Rock biography". Allmusic Rovi Corporation. Retrieved December 16, 2009.
- "'The Punk Singer' director on capturing the essence of Bikini Kill's Kathleen Hanna". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Israel Horovitz Biography (1939-), Film Reference, accessed March 24, 2011.
- Susan Jacobs. "Israel Horovitz on art and religion". Wakefield Observer.
- "How studio exec-turned-producer pitched 'Moneyball' - The Ticket". Jewish Journal.
- Bloom, Nate (December 15, 2011). "Jewish Stars 12/16". Cleveland Jewish News.
His father, famous playwright Israel Horovitz, 72, said a few years ago that he regretted raising Adam secular
- Diamond, Michael (1994), Some Old Bullshit album liner notes
- "41 Small Stars". Discogs.com. Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Arman, Marcus (2012-11-30). "Bridget Everett and Ad-Rock Get Raunchy". LA Weekly.
- https://relix.com/news/detail/bill-kreutzmann-ad-rock-adam-scott-sarah-silverman-and-others-swap-stories-in-have-a-good-trip-adventures-in-psychedelics/ Relix
- Barshad, Amos (April 24, 2011). "Rude Boys". New York Magazine. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- Mehera Bonner. "Molly Ringwald's Relationship History: Who Has She Dated?". Wetpaint.
- Valby, Karen (March 12, 2013). "Bikini Kill's Kathleen Hanna reveals illness, reconfirms awesomeness in 'The Punk Singer'". Entertainment Weekly.
- "Beastie Boys: Twilight of the Brats". Spin.
- "Musician Adam Horovitz of Beastie Boys Fame Buys in South Pasadena at $1.7M". American Luxury.