Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam
|Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam|
|Studio album by Gorgoroth|
|Released||19 June 2006|
|Recorded||January–May 2005, March–April 2006|
Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam is the seventh studio album by Norwegian black metal band Gorgoroth. It was released on 19 June 2006 by Regain Records. This was the only Gorgoroth album on which all of the lyrics and music were written by Gaahl and King ov Hell, and was the last to feature both members It also marked the return of drummer Frost and was the last Gorgoroth album that he appeared on. It was nominated for Norway's 2006 Spellemann award in the "Metal" category. It is the first Gorgoroth album with no Norwegian lyrics.
In November 2007, Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam was reissued with a slightly different cover and a DVD containing the "Carving a Giant" music video and another video documenting how the album was recorded.
Title and artwork
The title is a Latin term meaning "for the greater glory of Satan". It is a mutation of the Society of Jesus motto "Ad majorem Dei gloriam", meaning "for the greater glory of God". It contains a grammatical error, however, as "Sathanas" is typically declined as a first declension masculine noun, where its genitive (possessive) form would correctly be "Sathanae".[original research?] It was conceived by Infernus after he read an article about the organisation.
All lyrics written by Gaahl, all music composed by King ov Hell.
|1.||"Wound Upon Wound"||3:30|
|2.||"Carving a Giant"||4:10|
|3.||"God Seed (Twilight of the Idols)"||4:14|
|4.||"Sign of an Open Eye"||4:04|
|8.||"Prosperity and Beauty"||4:54|
- Frost – drums (session)
- Gorgoroth – mixing (in Bergen)
- Herbrand Larsen – engineering (vocals, Earshot Studio, Bergen, March 2006), mixing
- Thomas Eberger – mastering
- Geir Luedy – engineering (drums, Lydriket Studio, Bergen, January 2005)
- Svein Solberg – engineering (guitars, bass, Steel Production studio, Spydberg, May 2005)
- About.com review
- Allmusic review
- BLABBERMOUTH 'Ad Majorem Satanhas Gloriam' European Release Date Announced
- BLABBERMOUTH Gorgoroth to split up?
- BLABBERMOUTH 'Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam' Limited Edition Released
- REGAIN RECORDS Gorgoroth-Ad Majorem... LTD.
- Karl Pomeroy Harrington, Joseph Michael Pucci, Alison Goddard Elliott. Medieval Latin, p.517
- Gorgoroth Interview - Infernus Interview - Interview With Gorgoroth
- https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/asset-viewer/dante-and-virgile/-AF79SI4-gGMKA?utm_source=google&utm_medium=kp&hl=en&projectId=art-project Dante and Virgile