|Origin||Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France|
|Genres||Symphonic power metal, progressive metal, neoclassical metal|
|Years active||2000–2018 (on hiatus)|
Kelly Sundown Carpenter
|Past members||David Readman|
Since their third studio album Dominate, Adagio has evolved from their original power metal sound, but still adhering to their trademark elements of virtuosity and massive orchestral influences. With Dominate, they implemented a heavier sound with traditional death grunts. Archangels in Black was the band's fourth album. The band has stated that the "compositions are the ultimate between melodic and extreme metal, and can be considered as a more brutal version of their second album Underworld.
In April 2016, Stéphan Forté created an Indiegogo campaign to help fund Adagio's fifth album, Life. The campaign ended on June 5, 2016, with the campaign reaching 148% of its goal. The album was expected to come out in December 2016 under Stéphan's own label, Zeta Nemesis. The release date was delayed to July 26, 2017 but the band premiered a song called "Darkness Machine" two months beforehand.
Forté announced an indefinite hiatus of Adagio in April 2018, in order to pursue his solo career.
Adagio's music is known by its technical precision and dark orchestration. Adagio keeps unique complex lead workings which are complemented with a powerful and driving rhythm section.
In their album Life, Adagio mixes progressive metal with eastern ethnic and djent influences.
- Stéphan Forté - guitar (2000 - present)
- Franck Hermanny - bass guitar (2000 - present)
- Kévin Codfert - keyboards (2003 - present)
- Kelly Sundown Carpenter - lead vocals (2011 - present)
- Jelly Cardarelli - drums (2016 - present)
- Mayline Gautié - violin (2016 - present)
- David Readman - vocals (2000–2004)
- Dirk Bruinenberg - drums (2000–2004)
- Richard Andersson - keyboards (2000–2003)
- Éric Lebailly - drums (2004–2013)
- Gus Monsanto - vocals (2004–2008)
- Christian Palin - vocals (2008–2010)
- Guillaume Bergiron - drums (2016)
- Kelly Sundown Carpenter - vocals (2008)
- Mats Levén - vocals (2010–2011)
- A Band in Upperworld (2004)
- "NEW ALBUM FINISHED, STEPHAN TO LAUNCH OWN LABEL". Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Adagio Official Website". Adagio-online.com. Archived from the original on 2006-06-15. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Adagio - Upcoming Album Details". Metal Storm. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "ADAGIO 'LIFE' - Fifth Album". Indiegogo.
- "ADAGIO release "Life" album (CD) in July". Metal underground. June 14, 2017. Retrieved June 14, 2017.
- Kennelty, Greg (8 April 2018). "ADAGIO Goes On Indefinite Hiatus As Guitarist Pursues His Solo Career". Metal Injection. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Adagio - Biography". Metal Storm. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "ADAGIO Returns With 'Life' Album Next Spring; 'Subrahmanya' Single Available Now". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2016-12-02. Retrieved 2017-07-03.
- "Adagio - Timeline - Metal Storm". www.metalstorm.net. Retrieved 2017-07-03.