Adam Bielecki (climber)
Adam Bielecki (born 12 May 1983) is a Polish alpine and high-altitude climber. At the age of 17, he was the youngest person to climb Khan Tengri in alpine-style. He is known for the first winter ascents of the eight-thousanders: Gasherbrum I and Broad Peak. He climbs in the sport style, without oxygen support from the bottle.
On March 9, 2012 Adam Bielecki with Janusz Gołąb made the first successful winter ascent of Gasherbrum I (8080m), thereby also achieving the highest elevation reached by man in winter in the Karakorum. They climbed the mountain without supplementary oxygen.
On March 5, 2013 he climbed Broad Peak (8051m) together with Maciej Berbeka, Artur Małek and Tomasz Kowalski. The climbers separated before the summit, and while Bielecki and Małek reached the camp on descent, Berbeka and Kowalski went missing and were pronounced dead three days later.
On January 27, 2018, Bielecki, along with Denis Urubko, led a rescue operation on Nanga Parbat to save climbers Elisabeth Revol and Tomasz Mackiewicz, who were stuck on the mountain. Bielecki and Urubko, who had been attempting a winter summit of K2, were brought to the mountain by helicopter and climbed over 1000m through the night to reach Revol. They succeeded in bringing Revol to safety, but, due to the severe weather conditions, were unable to save Mackiewicz.
Ascents on the eight-thousanders
- 2011 – Makalu
- 2012 – Gasherbrum I (first winter ascent)
- 2012 – K2
- 2013 – Broad Peak (first winter ascent)
- 2018 – Gasherbrum II
- "A memorandum of Artur Hajzer". 2011-11-16. Archived from the original on 2014-05-17. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Poles summit Gasherbrum I in winter". 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Adam Bielecki zdobył K2!". 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "FIRST WINTER ASCENT OF BROAD PEAK". 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Winter expedition of Polish Mountaineering Association to Broad Peak (8,047 m) 2012/2013". 2013-03-19. Archived from the original on 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "THE KILLER MOUNTAIN MAY KILL AGAIN". dreamwanderlust.com. 31 January 2018.
- "Polish rescue team finds French climber on Pakistan's 'Killer Mountain". Reuters. 2018-01-28. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- list of ascent on winterclimb.com (in English), with detailed list of ascents of 1999-2013