Adam Bielecki (climber)
|Known for||first winter ascents of Gasherbrum I and Broad Peak|
Adam Radosław Bielecki (born 12 May 1983) is a Polish alpine and high-altitude climber, known for the first winter ascents of the eight-thousanders: Gasherbrum I and Broad Peak. In his book Spod zamarzniętych powiek written with co-author Dominik Szczepański, Bielecki tells the story of his climbings, memories from Himalayan expeditions, and the effort the highest mountains demand.
Early life and education
This section does not cite any sources. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On March 9, 2012, Adam Bielecki with Janusz Gołąb made the first successful winter ascent of Gasherbrum I (8080m), thereby also achieving the highest elevation reached by man in winter in the Karakorum. They climbed the mountain without supplementary oxygen.
On March 5, 2013, he climbed Broad Peak (8051m) together with Maciej Berbeka, Artur Małek and Tomasz Kowalski. They climbed the mountain without supplementary oxygen. The climbers separated before the summit, and while Bielecki and Małek reached the camp on descent, Berbeka and Kowalski went missing and were pronounced dead three days later.
On January 27, 2018, Bielecki, along with Denis Urubko, Jaroslaw Botor and Piotr Tomala led a rescue operation on Nanga Parbat to save climbers Élisabeth Revol and Tomasz Mackiewicz, who were stuck on the mountain. All 4 of them had been attempting a winter summit of K2, were brought to the mountain by helicopter. Bielecki and Urubko climbed over 1000m through the night to reach Revol. They succeeded in bringing Revol to safety, but, due to the severe weather conditions, were unable to save Mackiewicz. The K2 expedition ended with no success. Bielecki and his colleagues were awarded Legion of Honour, France's highest distinction for military and civil merits, for this rescue mission.
Bielecki was a leader of multiple expeditions on 5 continents, among other peaks he climbed also: Tilicho Peak, Pik Lenin, Jengish Chokusu (western summit), Damavand, Ararat, Kilimanjaro, Ruwenzori, Mount Kenya, Chimborazo, Cotopaxi, Aconcagua, Denali (Mc Kinley) Dhampus Peak, El Cuerno, Artesonraju, Churup and in the Alps in total 17 four-thousanders, including Mont Blanc, Dufourspitze, Matterhorn.
Ascents on eight-thousanders
- 2011 – Makalu
- 2012 – Gasherbrum I (first winter ascent)
- 2012 – K2
- 2013 – Broad Peak (first winter ascent)
- 2018 – Gasherbrum II (by the west face)
Ascents on other mountains
- „Colton-MacIntyre”. Grandess Jorasses ED+, 1200m.
- „Shmid route”. Matterhorn, TD+, 1100m.
- „Transylvania” Monte Cassale, VII, 1100m.
- „Via Luna 85”, PlaccheZebratta, 6c, 400m.
- „Shangri-La” Osterva, VIII.
- „Szewska Pasja”, Młynarczyk VII+.
- „Ruta Polaca”, Cerro Arenas. TD+, 1000m. First ascent
- „La Perdida”, Cerro Arenas. ED-,900m. First Ascent
- „Rubenzahl” Kandersteg. WI6.
- „Juvsola” Rjukan. WI6.
- „Original route” La Esfinge. 6c+/7a, 800m.
- Best of ExplorersWeb 2012 Awards Winner: Gasherbrum I First Winter Ascent
- Feat of the year 2012 award by the Polish edition of National Geographic
- "The Spirit of Mountaineering Commendation" awarded by British Alpine Club to: Krzysztof Wielicki, Adam Bielecki, Denis Urubko, Jarosław Botor and Piotr Tomala for the rescue action on Nanga Parbat in winter 2018
- David A. Sowles Memorial Award 2019 by American Alpine Club for the Nanga Parbat rescue action for Adam Bielecki, Denis Urubko, Jarosław Botor and Piotr Tomala
- 2019 National Geographic Adventurers of the Year, for Adam Bielecki and Denis Urubko
- French Legion of Honour, for his part in the rescue mission on Nanga Parbat in 2019
- . 2019-05-06. ASIN 832682402X. Missing or empty
- "A memorandum of Artur Hajzer". 2011-11-16. Archived from the original on 2014-05-17. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Poles summit Gasherbrum I in winter". 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Adam Bielecki zdobył K2!". 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- "FIRST WINTER ASCENT OF BROAD PEAK". 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "Winter expedition of Polish Mountaineering Association to Broad Peak (8,047 m) 2012/2013". 2013-03-19. Archived from the original on 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "THE KILLER MOUNTAIN MAY KILL AGAIN". dreamwanderlust.com. 31 January 2018.
- "Polish rescue team finds French climber on Pakistan's 'Killer Mountain". Reuters. 2018-01-28. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- "Avalanche Danger Ends Polish K2 Expedition". 2018-03-13.
- "Polish high-altitude climbers awarded French Legion of Honour". Retrieved 2019-07-14.
- "Adam Bielecki conquers Gasherbrum II". 2018-07-16.
- "New Route Up Big Face on Gasherbrum II". 2018-07-25.
- "Drytooling.com.pl baza ludzie". 2012-01-25.
- "Zimowa wyprawa w Andy, A. Bielecki, J. P. Czech, P. Migas". 2017-10-11.
- "La Nueva Ola Polaca". 2017.
- "Jacek Czech i Adam Bielecki północną ścianą Grandes Jorasses". 2019-02-26.
- "Bielecki, Czech i Tekieli drogą Schmidów na Matterhorn". 2015-02-15.
- "Transylvania OS (VII, 1100 m) w czasie 6,5 godz – Jacek Czech o wspinaniu w Dol. Sarca". 2016-07-28.
- "Sprawozdanie" (PDF). 2017-02-08.
- "PERU – Andy – Cordyliera Blanca". 2015.
- "Best of ExplorersWeb 2012 Awards Winner: Gasherbrum I First Winter Ascent". 2012-12-31.
- "TRAVELERY 2012 wręczone!". 2013-05-20.
- "Alpine Club recognise Nanga Parbat rescuers with Spirit of Mountaineering commendation".
- "Polish alpinists recognised for Nanga Parbat rescue action". 2018-12-27.
- "Adam Bielecki Calls Daring Rescue on Nanga Parbat "The Only Right Thing To Do"". 2019-03-13.
- "Meet the super climbers who came to the rescue on the 'Killer Mountain'". 2019-02-27.
- "Polish mountaineer awarded French Legion of Honour". Retrieved 2019-07-14.
- list of ascent on winterclimb.com (in English), with detailed list of ascents of 1999–2013