|Full name||Adam Cooney|
|Date of birth||30 September 1985|
|Place of birth||Adelaide, South Australia|
|Original team(s)||West Adelaide (SANFL)|
|Draft||No. 1 (PP), 2003 National Draft|
|Height / weight||187 cm / 83 kg|
|Position(s)||Forward / Midfielder|
|Representative team honours|
|2008||Dream Team||1 (0)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
2 State and international statistics correct as of 2008.
Adam Cooney (born 30 September 1985) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Western Bulldogs and Essendon Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He won the Brownlow Medal in 2008, with 24 votes becoming the tenth Western Bulldogs player to win the award.
Cooney was recruited from West Adelaide in the SANFL to the Western Bulldogs with the number one pick in the 2003 National Draft as a priority pick. He is a pacey player who can kick goals on the run from outside the 50-metre arc as well as snap kicks near the goal posts. He had a vastly improved 2005 season: he played every game, averaged 20 possessions a game and kicked 21 goals. He was ranked second for clearances in the Bulldogs team.
Cooney progressed to the elite of the competition, four seasons after being selected as the number one draft pick. His threat as a goalkicking midfielder grew as he pushed into the upper bracket of ball winners, while maintaining his average of more than a goal per game and also directly assisting in many scores.
Cooney was rewarded for a strong 2008 season by winning the Brownlow Medal. He polled 24 votes, beating Brisbane Lions midfielder Simon Black by one vote. Cooney is the first No. 1 draft pick (and the first player taken as a priority draft pick) to win the award.
In October 2014, Cooney was traded to Essendon.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
|Brownlow Medal votes|
|Green / Bold = Won|
- Brownlow Medal: 2008
- All-Australian Team: 2008
- Dream Team Representative Honours in AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match: 2008
- AFL Rising Star Nominee: 2004 (Round 21)
- Number 1 AFL Draft Pick: 2003
- "2003 Draft Full List". AFL.com.au. 25 November 2003. Archived from the original on 24 May 2011. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- "Cooney a shock Brownlow winner". FoxSports.com.au. 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- "Mum...a non-believer". AAP. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Lerner, Ronny (16 August 2016). "Essendon Bombers veteran Adam Cooney announces his retirement". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Navaratnam, Dinny (25 August 2016). "Cooney officially done, number of others set to call it quits". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- Moo, Kathpin (24 October 2009). "Adam Cooney marries childhood sweetheart, Haylea MacCann". Sunday Mail. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Adam Cooney". AFL Tables. Retrieved 8 July 2014.