|Full name||Adam Cooney|
|Date of birth||30 September 1985|
|Original team||West Adelaide (SANFL)|
|Draft||#1 (PP), 2003 National Draft, Western Bulldogs|
|Height/Weight||186cm / 87kg|
|Current club||Western Bulldogs|
|2004–||Western Bulldogs||209 (178)|
|Representative team honours|
|2008||Dream Team||1 (0)|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of Round 8, 2014 season.
Adam Cooney (born 30 September 1985) is an Australian rules footballer, playing for the Western Bulldogs in the AFL. Cooney, recruited from West Adelaide in the SANFL, won the 2008 Brownlow Medal with 24 votes becoming the 10th Footscray/Western Bulldog player to win the AFL's highest individual honor.
As a solid midfielder, he was picked up as the number one draft pick in 2003 AFL Draft as a priority pick. When he debuted on the scene in 2004 his hairstyle became his trademark, his long golden locks instantly recognisable and sometimes taken advantage of by the opposition.
He has explosive pace and loves kicking goals whether from outside 50 on the run or a snap near the goals. Cooney had a vastly improved 2005 season: he played every game, averaged 20 possessions a game and kicked 21 goals. He was ranked second for clearances in the Bulldogs team.
Cooney is progressing to the elite of the competition after four seasons since being the number one draft pick. His threat as a goalkicking midfielder is growing as he pushes into the upper bracket of ball winners while maintaining his average of more than a goal per game and also directly assisting in many scores. Cooney has the capacity to be an explosive stoppage player and has been remarkably durable in recent times, playing every game in the past three seasons.
Cooney was rewarded for a fantastic 2008 season by winning the Brownlow Medal. Cooney polled 24 votes, beating Brisbane Lions midfielder Simon Black by one vote. Cooney is the first number 1 draft pick (and the first player taken as a priority draft pick) to win the award.
On 24 October 2009, Adam Cooney married Haylea McCann.
|Led the league for the Season only*|
|Led the league after finals only*|
|Led the league after Season and Finals*|
*10 games required to be eligible.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
|Brownlow Medal votes|
|Green / Bold = Won|
- Brownlow Medal: 2008
- All-Australian: 2008
- Dream Team Representative Honours in AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match: 2008
- AFL Rising Star Nominee: 2004 (Round 21)
- Number 1 AFL Draft Pick: 2003
- "2003 Draft Full List". AFL.com.au. 2003-11-25. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- "Cooney a shock Brownlow winner". FoxSports.com.au. 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- "Mum...a non-believer". AAP. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Moo, Kathpin (24 October 2009). "Adam Cooney marries childhood sweetheart, Haylea MacCann". Sunday Mail. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- Adam Cooney's player profile at AFL Tables
- Adam Cooney's profile on the official website of the Western Bulldogs
- Adam Cooney's statistics from AFL Tables
|Awards and achievements|
|Number one overall pick in AFL draft
Gary Ablett, Jr.
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|