February 14, 1982 |
San Francisco, CA
|Alma mater||Columbia University
Bank Street College of Education
|Notable works||A Tale Dark and Grimm, In A Glass Grimmly, The Grimm Conclusion, The Inquisitor's Tale|
|Spouse||Lauren Mancia (m. 2011)|
Adam Gidwitz (born February 14, 1982) is the author of the best selling children's books A Tale Dark and Grimm (2010), In a Glass Grimmly (2012), and The Grimm Conclusion (2012), all published by Dutton Penguin. He received a Newbery Honor for The Inquisitor’s Tale: Or, The Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog (2016).
He was born in San Francisco in 1982 but grew up in Baltimore, Maryland. He attended Columbia University where he majored in English Literature and spent his junior year abroad in the University's Oxford/Cambridge Scholars program. After college he became a teacher at Saint Ann's School in Brooklyn. He credits a stint as a substitute librarian as the inspiration for writing The Grimm Trilogy. He now lives in Brooklyn, New York with his wife, writing full-time.
A Tale Dark and Grimm was named a New York Times Editor's Choice, A Publishers Weekly Best Children's Book of the Year (2010), a School Library Journal Best Children's Book of the Year (2010), and a 2010 ALA Notable Book. A live action movie based on the book is planned, to be directed by Henry Selick.
- Gidwitz, Adam. "About Adam Gidwitz". Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Amazon.com: Adam Gidwitz: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Adam Gidwitz '04 Reinvents the Brothers Grimm". Columbia College Today. Columbia University. March 2011. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- The New York Times, Editor's Choice, , accessed January 30, 2011
- Publishers Weekly Best Children's Books of the Year , accessed January 30, 2011
- School Library Journal Best Children's Books of the Year, , accessed January 30, 2011
- American Library Association Notable Book List "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-02-04. Retrieved 2011-01-31., accessed January 30, 2011
- Toronto: FilmNation In Deal For ‘A Tale Dark & Grimm’
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adam Gidwitz.|