Adam Haslett (born December 24, 1970) is an American fiction writer. He was born in Port Chester, New York and grew up in Oxfordshire, England, and Wellesley, Massachusetts. He is a graduate of Swarthmore College (B.A., 1992), the University of Iowa (M.F.A., 1999), and Yale Law School (J.D., 2003). He has been a visiting professor at the Iowa Writers' Workshop and Columbia University. Fall 2011 he enjoyed half a year of free study work at the American Academy in Berlin. He currently lives in New York City, New York.
His first book, a collection of short stories entitled You Are Not a Stranger Here, was released in 2002 and was a finalist for the 2002 National Book Award and the 2003 Pulitzer Prize and spent some time on The New York Times Best Seller list. It was also named one of the five best books of the year by Time. Haslett has received fellowships from the Guggenheim Foundation, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the Fine Arts Work Center. His work has appeared in The New Yorker, Esquire, The Nation, The Atlantic, and The Best American Short Stories, as well as National Public Radio's Selected Shorts. His first novel, Union Atlantic, was released in February 2010.
Union Atlantic is Haslett's debut novel. The story follows several different characters: Doug Fanning, a self-made banker; Charlotte Graves, a retired school teacher; Charlotte's brother Henry, the President of the New York Federal Reserve bank; and Nate Fuller, an 18-year-old, infatuated with both Doug and Charlotte. It has been translated into twelve languages. It won a Lambda Literary Award for best work of gay men's fiction published in 2010.
- Wiegand, David (21 September 2002), "PROFILE: Adam Haslett", San Francisco Chronicle, retrieved 19 March 2010
- Ellis, Sherry (March–April 2004), "Interview with Adam Haslett", Barcelona Review, retrieved 19 March 2010
- "Mary Ellen von der Heyden Fiction Fellow, Class of Fall 2011". American Academy in Berlin. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- "Best and Worst of Books in 2002", Time, archived from the original on May 4, 2009, retrieved 19 March 2010
- Haslett, Adam (2010), Union Atlantic, Random House, Inc., p. 305, ISBN 0-385-52447-1
- Official Website
- Full Text of "Night Walk"
- Full text of "Notes to My Biographer
- Full text of "The Beginnings of Grief"
- Author Page at The Red Room
- Barnes & Noble Meet the Writers Profile