Adam Kisiel, also Adam Kysil (Polish: Adam Kisiel Ukrainian: Адам Святольдич Кисіль; 1580 or 1600-1653) was a Polish nobleman, the Voivode of Kiev (1649-1653) and castellan or voivode of Czernihów (1639-1646). He was the last Orthodox senator of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Kisiel has become better known for his mediation during the Khmelnytsky Uprising.
Adam Kisiel was married to Anastazja Krystyna Bohuszewicz. She was probably a daughter of Filion Bohuszewicz Hulkiewicz, widow after Butowicz. The couple was childless.
Adam Kisiel described himself as a Polish noble (Jestem szlachcic polski, literally: I am a Polish noble).
Adam Kisiel according to the older historiography was born around 1580. After Tadeusz Jan Lubomirski in 1905 published his work Adam Kisiel wojewoda kijowski, where is contained information that on the grave inscription of Adam Kisiel is mentioned that he died as 53 years old, historians stated that he was born in 1600.
During the Khmelnytsky Uprising he was one of the most prominent members of the negotiations and pro-Cossack factions among the szlachta. In the very beginning of the Uprising he sent an Eastern Orthodox monk, Petroni Łaska, to try to calm down the Cossacks and begin negotiations. The Sejm resolution of 22 July 1648 chose him, Aleksander Sielski, podkomorzy poznański, Franicszek Dubrawski, podkomorzy przemyski and Teodor Obuchowicz, podkomorzy mozyrski, to negotiate with Khmelnytsky. The negotiations ended in failure by February 1649.
Adam Kisiel died on 3 May 1653.
- The Cambridge history of Poland, Vol. 1, 1950, p. 512.
- Tereškinas, Artūras (2005). Imperfect Communities: Identity, Discourse and Nation in the Seventeenth-century Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Institute of Lithuanian Literature and Folklore. p. 40.
- Thomas Bremer (ed.), Religion and the conceptual boundary in Central and Eastern Europe, London 2008, p. 51.
- Kysil, Adam in Internet Encyclopedia of Ukraine (the article based only on Sysyn's book)
- Sysyn F/ Between Poland and the Ukraine: The Dilemma of Adam Kysil, 1600-1653
- АДАМ КИСІЛЬ at litopys.org.ua
- (Ukrainian) АДАМ КИСІЛЬ at www.art.lutsk.ua
- (Polish) Antoni Mironowicz, Sylwester Kossow - biskup białoruski, metropolita kijowski (METROPOLITA KIJOWSKI)
- Boniecki, Adam (1907). Herbarz polski. 10. Warszawa. p. 93.
- Between Poland and the Ukraine: The Dilemma of Adam Kysil, 1600-1653, P. 43.
- Kosman, Marceli (1996). Na tropach bohaterów "Trylogii". Warszawa: Książka i Wiedza. p. 32. ISBN 83-05-12833-4.
- Boniecki, Adam (1907). Herbarz polski. 10. Warszawa. p. 94.
- Kosman, Marceli (1996). Na tropach bohaterów "Trylogii". Warszawa: Książka i Wiedza. p. 33. ISBN 83-05-12833-4.
- Kosman, Marceli (1996). Na tropach bohaterów "Trylogii". Warszawa: Książka i Wiedza. p. 35. ISBN 83-05-12833-4.
- Davies, Norman (1982). God's Playground: A History of Poland. Columbia University Press. p. 177. ISBN 0-231-05351-7.
Janusz Tyszkiewicz Łohojski
Voivode of Kiev
Stanisław "Rewera" Potocki