Adam Lippes (born December 24, 1972) is an American fashion designer who came to prominence at Oscar de la Renta and has had his own company since 2004.
Early life and education
Lippes was born in Buffalo, New York, one of three children of Gerald S. Lippes, a lawyer, and Sandra Lippes (née Franger, d. 2004), a nurse. After the Nichols School in Buffalo he studied Psychology at Cornell, graduating in 1994, and art history and architecture at the American University in Paris.
Lippes began his fashion career at Polo Ralph Lauren in 1995, before moving to Oscar de la Renta, where he was quickly promoted to Global Creative Director. From 1996 to 2003, he worked closely with de la Renta throughout the company, including design, marketing and new business development.
In 2004, Lippes launched his own collection of cotton basics under the label adampluseve. He was joined by Electra Toub, who helped develop the company originally called ADAM + EVE, and the company evolved from cotton basics into wider collections, known as ADAM.
Lippes was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2007, and staged his first formal runway show New York Fashion Week 2007, making the cover of Women's Wear Daily. Vanity Fair put him on its "Next Establishment" list in October 2007. ADAM opened its own shops in New York City, Buffalo, and Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania and worked with Mango with collections sold around the world.
- http://www.adamlippes.com—Official website
- http://www.instyle.com/instyle/celebrities/lookoftheday/photos/0,,20210347,00.html—InStyle.com "Look of the Day"
- http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/fashionweek/photos/0,,20254189_20259332_20580278,00.html—InStyle.com "Fall Fashion Week 2009"
- http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/show.aspx/catwalk-report/id,7470—Christina Caldwell for Vogue.com
- http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2009RST-ADAMEVE—ADAM Collections at style.com
- http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/adam-adam-lippes-resort-2010-2154581?src=rss/recentstories/20090602—Women's Wear Daily "ADAM Adam Lippes Resort 2010"