December 24, 1972|
Buffalo, New York
American University of Paris
|Employer||Creative director of Oscar de la Renta|
Gerald S. Lippes|
Sandra Franger Lippes
Adam Lippes (born December 24, 1972) is an American fashion designer who came to prominence at Oscar de la Renta and has had his own company since 2004.
Early life and education
Lippes was born in Buffalo, New York, one of three children of Gerald S. Lippes, a lawyer, and Sandra Lippes (née Franger, d. 2004), a nurse. After the Nichols School in Buffalo he studied Psychology at Cornell University, graduating in 1994, and art history and architecture at the American University of Paris.
Lippes began his fashion career at Polo Ralph Lauren in 1995, before moving to Oscar de la Renta, where he was quickly promoted to Global Creative Director. From 1996 to 2003, he worked closely with de la Renta throughout the company, including design, marketing and new business development.
In 2004, Lippes launched his own collection of cotton basics under the label ADAM + EVE. Following an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey show, and investment from The Atelier Fund, a Compagnie Richemont Investment Vehicle the company evolved from cotton basics into wider contemporary collections, known as ADAM.
Lippes was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America in 2007, and staged his first formal runway show New York Fashion Week 2007, making the cover of Women's Wear Daily. Vanity Fair put him on its "Next Establishment" list in October 2007. ADAM opened its own shops in New York City, Buffalo, and Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania and worked with Mango with collections sold around the world.
In 2013, the Adam Lippes brand made its debut. The Adam Lippes brand is based on Lippes's core concept of understated and luxurious designer sportswear with an emphasis on refined fabrics and tailoring. The collection was met with critical acclaim and appears regularly in the press and on style influencers worldwide.
Adam Lippes produces four collections annually: Pre-Spring, Spring/Summer, Press-Fall, and Fall/Winter. The brand is represented in over 75 luxury retailers in 20 nations and online. Current retailers include Bergdorf Goodman, Matches, Neiman Marcus, Net-a-Porter, and Saks Fifth Avenue.
For Fall 2015, Adam Lippes was the annual designer partnership with Target.
Lippes is active in fundraising for the Sandra F. Lippes Foundation at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, and has been a co-chair at the Whitney Museum of American Art and on the board of God's Love We Deliver.
- "Art meets fashion on 'Runway' shows at Burchfield Penney". The Buffalo News. 24 April 2009. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Gerald and Sandra Lippes Complete $1 Million Commitment to UB's 'Generation to Generation' Campaign - University at Buffalo". University of Buffalo. April 28, 2004. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "ADAM by Adam Lippes". StyleCaster. 9 November 2009. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "'Local connection' leads Rand to buy into Adam + Eve". The Buffalo News. 21 July 2006. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "ADAM LIPPES GETS BOOST FROM OPRAH APPEARANCE". Women's Wear Daily. October 16, 2017. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "ADAM LIPPES". cfda.com. CFDA. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "5 ingredients for a not-terrible Target collaboration". New York Post. 26 August 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Karimzadeh, Marc (April 1, 2008). "Design Within Reach". W Magazine. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Karimzadeh, Marc; Young, Vicki M. (26 August 2010). "Kellwood to Acquire Adam". WWD. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Karakus, Nesli (27 August 2010). "Kellwood Co. acquires a fashion brand". Digital Commerce 360. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Feitelberg, Rosemary (28 June 2012). "Adam Lippes Buys Back Namesake Label". WWD. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Donnelly, Erin (June 28, 2012). "Adam Lippes Buys Back Namesake Label - News - FashionEtc.com". fashionetc.com. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Adam Lippes Designer Profile". nymag.com. The Cut. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Adam Lippes News, Collections, Fashion Shows, Fashion Week Reviews, and More - Vogue". Vogue.com. Vogue. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "It's a Plaid, Plaid World at Target this Fall". Target Corporation. June 3, 2015. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Press: Civic leaders receive awards at the Golden Heart Dinner - October 19, 2009". God's Love We Deliver. October 19, 2009. Retrieved 26 April 2018.