|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
|Occupation||Founder and CEO, The Zebra|
|Home town||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania|
Lyons grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where he attended Taylor Allderdice High School. He dropped out of high school when he was 15 years old. Lyons was taking classes at a local community college when he was recruited by the Risk Management & Insurance Department at Temple University. He graduated from Temple University in 2009 with a Bachelor of Business Administration from the Fox School of Business.
Lyons worked in the insurance industry starting at Lloyd's of London as a broker. Later, he worked as an underwriter for All Risks Insurance, one of the largest US insurance wholesalers. Lyons became a consultant for Meltwater and helped launch the media relations software company that went on to win a 2010 Red Herring Global 100 Award.
In 2012, Lyons founded The Zebra. Lyons began to look for investors for the new business venture and partnered with Mark Cuban. Later, Cuban noted he liked the concept of The Zebra and commented on Lyons' succinct writing style. Adam also partnered with Mike Maples, Jr., an early investor in Twitter and Lyft of Floodgate Fund, United Kingdom billionaire Simon Nixon of Moneysupermarket.com. and Silverton Partners based in Austin, Texas. After securing $4.5 million in seed funding in 2013, Lyons relocated the company to Austin, TX. The website delivered over 1 million quotes in its first year. By 2014, The Zebra covered 96 percent of the auto insurance market comparing over 1,800 insurance products from 200 companies in all 50 states.
- Lahey, Susan (10 October 2012). "Why I Moved My Company to Austin". siliconhillsnews.com. Silicon Hills News. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "9 extremely clever startup funding stories". fortune.com. Fortune. 9 January 2015. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Raney, Nicole (April 23, 2015). "Two Austin superstars land on prestigious 30 Under 30 list". Austin Culture Map. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- McKenna, John (August 15, 2013). "Straight Up Startup…Featuring Adam Lyons, CEO Of Insurance Zebra". RackSpace. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Winfrey, Graham (April 22, 2015). "How This Young Founder Landed Big Fish Investor Mark Cuban". Inc. Magazine. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Smit, Deb (February 29, 2012). "InsuranceZebra wants to be the Kayak of the online insurance search". PopCity News. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Cooke, Lacy (June 4, 2015). "Compare Car Insurance Companies Quickly And Easily Through The Zebra". ThriveWire. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Office Hours: Adam Lyons". Fox Focus (Temple University). Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Reyes, Juliana (December 18, 2013). "This Temple grad got Mark Cuban to invest in his startup [Startup Roundup]". Technical Philly. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Hawkins, Lori (January 31, 2013). "Insurance Zebra raises $1.5 million and moves headquarters from Pittsburgh to Austin". Austin Statesman. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Perez, Sarah (January 31, 2013). "Insurance Zebra Raises $1.5 Million From Mark Cuban, Floodgate, Silverton & Birchmere To Be The Kayak For Auto Insurance". TechCrunch. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "The Empact100 List:Meet the Top 100". Empact Showcase. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Spencer, Malia (October 19, 2012). "Insurance Zebra lands $1.5M; goes stealth ahead of relaunch". Pittsburgh Business Times. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Freeland, Allie Gray (13 May 2014). "4 Ways to Architect an Iconic Brand". huffingtonpost.com. Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Newman, Kira M. (9 June 2012). "Want to Start a Company? Take a Few Months Off to Travel First". tech.co. Tech.co. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Lapowsky, Issie (December 10, 2013). "How a 26-Year-Old Founder Landed Mark Cuban's Money". Inc. Magazine. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Perez, Sarah (December 10, 2013). "Kayak For Auto Insurance Site The Zebra Grabs Another $3M, Launches Nationwide". TechCrunch. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Patterson, Te-Erika (January 8, 2015). "9 Extremely Clever Startup Funding Stories". Entrepreneur magazine. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Todd, Deborah M. (March 10, 2013). "Austin ascends: High tech transforms Texas capital into a star". Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "With $3M Seed funding from Mark Cuban and other prominent investors, The Zebra has an ambitious goal: To help consumers easily compare, purchase, and manage auto insurance". StartupBeat. December 27, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Shin, Laura (January 9, 2015). "You Can Save Hundreds On Car Insurance. But Is It A Good Idea?". Forbes. Retrieved June 18, 2015.