McGurk playing for Tranmere Rovers in 2013
|Full name||Adam Michael McGurk|
|Date of birth||24 January 1989|
|Place of birth||Larne, County Antrim, Northern Ireland|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|2009||Northern Ireland U21||1||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 07:30 13 November 2016 (GMT).
McGurk started his career in the Aston Villa youth academy in 2004, but failed to break into the first team, and joined Hednesford Town on a free transfer in March 2010. Having made twelve appearances for Hednesford, he signed for Tranmere Rovers in August 2010, making 79 league appearances in three years, before being released by the club in July 2013.
Born in Moneymore, Northern Ireland, McGurk was signed by Aston Villa in 2004 from Larne Youth. He was impressive for Aston Villa Reserves in the 2006–07 season, making seven appearances (four of which were from the substitutes bench) and scoring four goals. He suffered a serious knee injury and was out injured for a long time period. After making his comeback he struggled to force his way back into the Aston Villa Reserves and become a regular again. He was released by Villa in early 2010, and briefly retired from professional football.
After being released by Aston Villa, he went on trial with Cheltenham Town, but was not offered a contract. He joined Hednesford Town on 11 March 2010. His debut for the club came on 23 March when he played against Truro City in a Southern Football League Premier Division match.
He then made a couple of trial appearances for Tranmere Rovers during the summer and trained with the squad. He was then given a second chance with the club after he was signed on non-contract basis so he would be named on the substitute's bench for a League Cup first round match against Walsall in August. He made his debut for Rovers on 21 August 2010 in the Football League One clash with Bournemouth which ended in a 3–0 home defeat at Prenton Park, coming on as a second-half substitute for Ian Thomas-Moore. Three days later he signed a one-year contract with Tranmere. He went on to score his first goal for Tranmere in the reverse fixture against Bournemouth on 9 April 2011, scoring a 94th-minute winner. At the end of the 2010–11 season he offered a new contract by the club which he signed in late May, keeping him at Tranmere until summer 2012. The club took up a further one year option on him for the 2012–13 season. McGurk suffered a collapsed lung in February 2013, having also injured his hamstring that month. He was released by Tranmere at the end of the season, along with four other players. On 20 July 2013, McGurk scored a goal whilst on trial with Championship side Birmingham City, in a 1–1 draw with Oxford United.
McGurk signed a two-year contract with Burton Albion on 5 August 2013. He was given the number 20 shirt and made his debut in the league cup tie against Sheffield United. He set up Chris Hussey's first goal in a 2–1 win. McGurk scored the winning goal in Burton's 1–0 win over Premier League team QPR on 28 August 2014.
McGurk signed a two-year deal with Portsmouth on 24 June 2015, and went on to score on his debut against Derby County in the Capital One Cup First Round on 12 August. He also netted once during the 3-1 victory at Fratton Park against Barnet.
McGurk has U16 and U17 caps and has also represented Northern Ireland at U21 level, making his debut on 11 August 2009 against Portugal. He was called up to the senior squad in early 2013 for pre-World Cup qualifying friendly matches, but has yet to make his debut.
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 84. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 545. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Adam McGurk set for NI debut three years after quitting football". BBC Sport. 5 February 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Former loan star O'Leary on trial with Cheltenham Town". 2 March 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "McGurk signs for the Pitmen". Hednesford Town F.C. 11 March 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Statistics: Adam McGurk". Hednesford Town F.C. unofficial website. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Adam McGurk to be given a chance to shine at Tranmere Rovers FC". Wirral News. 12 August 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- "Tranmere 0–3 Bournemouth". BBC Sport. 21 August 2010. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "Tranmere Rovers capture Lucas Akins and Adam McGurk". BBC Sport. 24 August 2010. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "Bournemouth 1–2 Tranmere.". BBC Sport. 9 April 2011. Retrieved 9 April 2011.
- "Rovers Offer Six New Contracts". Tranmere Rovers F.C. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Tranmere striker Adam McGurk signs new one-year deal". BBC Sport. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Moore Rebuilding Squad". Tranmere Rovers FC. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Adam McGurk: Tranmere Rovers winger suffers collapsed lung". BBC Sport. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- Hilton, Nick (29 April 2013). "Tranmere Rovers FC release five players". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Trialist Adam McGurk secured a 1–1 draw for Birmingham at Oxford". Sky Sports. 20 July 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Adam McGurk: Burton Albion sign former Tranmere forward". BBC Sport. 5 August 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Cambridge United sign striker Adam McGurk on two year deal". Cambridge United FC. 22 July 2016. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- Mat Kendrick (2009-08-11). "Villa's Adam McGurk wins praise from Northern Ireland u-21s boss". Birmingham Mail. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- jcd (2010-07-11). "NIFG: Adam McGurk". Nifootball.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Tranmere forward Adam McGurk handed Northern Ireland call-up". BBC Sport. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.