Picture in August 2011
|Full name||Adam John William Moffat|
|Date of birth||15 May 1986|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|New York Cosmos|
|2007||Cleveland City Stars||19||(8)|
|2013||Seattle Sounders FC||6||(0)|
|2015–||New York Cosmos||19||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:42, 22 September 2015 (UTC).
Adam John William Moffat (born 15 May 1986) is a Scottish footballer who currently plays for New York Cosmos in the North American Soccer League as a midfielder. After beginning his career in Scottish football with Ross County and Elgin City, Moffat has played in the United States since 2007, initially with Cleveland City Stars. He then played for Major League Soccer (MLS) teams Columbus Crew, Portland Timbers, Houston Dynamo and Seattle Sounders and FC Dallas prior to joining the Cosmos in 2015. He won the MLS Cup with Columbus in 2008.
Moffat began his career in the lower divisions of the Scottish League, playing for Ross County and Elgin City between 2005 and 2007. In 2007, Moffat made a move to the United States to play for Cleveland City Stars in the USL Second Division, and stood out enough to be named to the league's Best XI. Having impressed MLS scouts with his performances, Moffat was signed by the Columbus Crew following the conclusion of the 2007 USL2 season, joining his former teammate Andrew Peterson.
Moffat scored his first MLS goal, and the first goal of the 2008 MLS season, on 29 March 2008 against Toronto FC. Moffat quickly became a fan favourite for his work ethic on and off the field, but unfortunately suffered a season-ending knee injury early in the season. While with Columbus Moffat appeared in 44 league matches and scored 5 goals.
On 21 July 2011, Moffat was traded to Houston Dynamo along with allocation money in exchange for Lovel Palmer, Mike Chabala, and an international roster spot. On 14 August 2011, he scored a sensational 40-yard goal in the match versus his former team Portland Timbers at Robertson Stadium which was named an MLS Goal of the Week with a potential nomination for MLS Goal of the Year. Moffat was suspended by the league for one game because of a reckless tackle he made on Seattle Sounders FC player Álvaro Fernández.
On 13 December 2013, FC Dallas acquired Moffat from Seattle in exchange for Kenny Cooper and allocation money. At the conclusion of the 2014 season, Dallas declined its 2015 contract option on Moffat and he entered the 2014 MLS Re-Entry Draft. He was not selected by any MLS club.
- Major League Soccer Eastern Conference Championship (1): 2008
- Major League Soccer MLS Cup (1): 2008
- Major League Soccer Supporters' Shield (2): 2008, 2009
- Prost Amerika
- "Houston swap Chabala, Palmer for Portland's Moffat". 22 July 2011.
- "No doubt about it: Moffat wins Goal of the Week". mlssoccer.com. 19 August 2011. Retrieved 19 August 2011.
- Mayers, "Joshua (13 September 2013). "Sounders trade Servando Carrasco, draft pick to Houston for midfielder Adam Moffat". The Seattle Times.
- "FC Dallas get Adam Moffat from Seattle Sounders for rights to Kenny Cooper". Major League Soccer.
- Merz, Craig. "Crew Cornered: Q&A with Adam Moffat". Columbus Crew. Retrieved 6 November 2012.