Mosseri speaking at TechCrunch Disrupt, 2016
|Born||January 23, 1983|
|Citizenship||United States, Israeli|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Known for||Head of Instagram|
Early life and education
Mosseri was born and raised in Chappaqua, New York. He attended New York University's Gallatin School of Individualized Study to learn about media and information design. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in information design in 2005.
In 2003, while studying at NYU, Mosseri started his own design consultancy called Blank Mosseri, which focused on graphic, interaction, and exhibition design. His company had offices in New York and San Francisco. In 2007, he joined TokBox as the company's first designer.
Mosseri joined Facebook as a product designer in 2008. In 2009, Mosseri became a product design manager, and in 2012 became the design director for the company's mobile apps. From 2012 to 2016, Mosseri oversaw Facebook's News Feed section, and from 2016 to May 2018 served as vice president of product for Facebook. During his tenure at Facebook, he additionally oversaw Facebook Home, the company's unsuccessful attempt at bringing a mobile homescreen to Android devices.
After the 2016 presidential election, Mosseri took it upon himself to become the spokesperson for Facebook's stance on "fake news." During the 2018 Cambridge Analytica scandal, Mosseri was one of the few Facebook executives who was vocal about Facebook's role in providing security and trustworthy news.
In May 2018, Mosseri was hired as Instagram's vice president of product. On October 1, 2018, Facebook announced that Mosseri would assume as the new head of Instagram, following the resignation of the photo-sharing app's founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger in September 2018. Mosseri's title as head of Instagram differs from the title of former leadership as CEO as Facebook reserves CEO titles for company founders. As company head, Mosseri is expected to hire a new executive team and oversee "all functions of the business".
Tech industry recognition
In 2015, Business Insider recognized Mosseri as a Facebook "Power Player."
- Constine, Josh (October 1, 2018). "Meet Adam Mosseri, the new head of Instagram". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Perry, Alex (October 2, 2018). "Who Is Adam Mosseri? Longtime Facebook Exec Named The Head Of Instagram". International Business Times.
- "Advice from Alumni". Gallatin School of Individualized Study. NYU.
- Mangalindan, JP (October 2, 2018). "Meet the Facebook insider who's been tapped to lead Instagram". Yahoo Finance.
- Spangler, Todd (October 1, 2018). "Facebook Exec Adam Mosseri Named New Instagram Chief, Taking Over With Exit of Co-Founders". Variety.
- Cohen, David (October 1, 2018). "Former Facebook News Feed Head Adam Mosseri Is Taking the Reins at Instagram". Adweek.
- Yurieff, Kaya (October 1, 2018). "Instagram gets a new chief: Facebook vet Adam Mosseri". CNN Tech.
- Burch, Sean (September 25, 2018). "Facebook Taps Longtime Exec Adam Mosseri as Next Instagram Chief". The Wrap.
- Christou, Luke (October 2, 2018). "Who is Adam Mosseri, Facebook's new Head of Instagram?". Verdict.
- Wagner, Kurt (October 1, 2018). "Meet Adam Mosseri, Instagram's new boss". Recode.
- Wolverton, Troy (April 19, 2013). "Mercury News interview: Adam Mosseri, Facebook's product management director". The Mercury News.
- Ghosh, Shona (September 26, 2018). "This 10-year Facebook loyalist is widely tipped to become Instagram's new CEO". Business Insider.
- Rodriguez, Salvador (October 1, 2018). "Facebook names its new head of Instagram". CNBC.
- "Adam Mosseri to head Instagram". DAWN. October 2, 2018.
- Vanian, Jonathan (October 1, 2018). "Facebook Names New Instagram Chief After Co-Founders Abruptly Exit". Fortune.
- Ortutay, Barbara (October 1, 2018). "Longtime Facebook exec Adam Mosseri new head of Instagram". FOX 23. Archived from the original on October 5, 2018. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- "Facebook Exec Adam Mosseri Named Head of Instagram". October 2, 2018.
- Sawers, Paul (October 1, 2018). "Instagram's new head is current VP of product Adam Mosseri". VentureBeat.
- D'Onfro, Jillian; Danielson, Tess (November 11, 2015). "Power players: the most important Facebook execs you've never heard of". Business Insider.
- "How News Feed works". International Journalism Festival. April 7, 2017.
- Chiusi, Fabio (April 9, 2018). "Facebook's Mosseri on 'false' news: declining, hard to measure and bad for business". Poynter.
- Johnson, Eric (March 3, 2018). "Code M Code Media 2018: How to listen to everything from the conference as a podcastedia 2018: How to listen to everything from the conference as a podcast". Recode.
- Wagner, Kurt (February 12, 2018). "Here are the ways Facebook said it's trying to help publishers". Recode.
- "Compassion Universal: 2017 Annual Dinner and Benefit" (PDF). Shanti Project. September 21, 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 5, 2018. Retrieved October 5, 2018.
- Sister Dana, Van Iquity (September 21, 2018). "Sister Dana Sez, "I would have never thought to ever be in agreement with the horrible dictator of North Korea…"". San Francisco Bay Times.