Adam Rogers (musician)
Oslo, Norway, 2017
New York City
|Associated acts||Lost Tribe, Michael Brecker, Chris Potter|
Adam Rogers is an American jazz guitarist.
The son of Broadway performers and musicians, he began playing piano and drums at just 5 or 6. He became "obsessed" with Jimi Hendrix and began collecting Hendrix recordings after starting guitar at age 11. He listened a great deal to the Hendrix recordings, and by 14 had learned to play in the style of Hendrix. It was at this time that he was exposed to the music of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Wes Montgomery (among others) and began to study Jazz music. His jazz guitar teachers have included John Scofield and Barry Galbraith.
For five years, Rogers studied classical guitar at Mannes School of Music. Beginning in the 1990s, he spent over ten years as a member of the jazz fusion band Lost Tribe with David Binney, David Gilmore, Fima Ephron, and Ben Perowsky. For several years he was a member of Michael Brecker's bands. He currently leads his own acoustic quartet and the genre bending electric trio DICE.
He has also worked with Kenny Barron, Brian Blade, Walter Becker, Michael & Randy Brecker, Ravi Coltrane, Christian Mcbride, Uri Caine, James Carter, Regina Carter, Ravi Coltrane, Larry Coryell, Eliane Elias, Marcus Miller, Joe Jackson, George Russell, David Sanchez, Bill Evans, The Gil Evans orchestra, Forq, Norah Jones, Jack McDuff, Mingus Big Band, John Patitucci, Chris Potter, Paul Simon, Alex Sipiagin, Phillip Bailey, Kenny Werner, Cassandra Wilson, Lizz Wright, and John Zorn.
- Art of the Invisible (Criss Cross, 2002)
- Allegory (Criss Cross, 2003)
- Apparitions (Criss Cross, 2005)
- Time and the Infinite (2007)
- Sight (Criss Cross, 2009)
- Dice (Adraj records 001)
With Lost Tribe
With David Binney
- 2015: R&B (Criss Cross)
With Yelena Eckemoff
- 2017 In the Shadow of a Cloud
With David Binney
- 1989 Point Game
- 1998 Free to Dream
- 2002 Balance
- 2003 South
- 2004 Welcome to Life
- 2006 Out of Airplanes
- 2007 Oceanos with Edward Simon
- 2013 Anacapa
With Randy Brecker
- 1995 Into the Sun
- 2001 Hanging in the City
- 2003 34th N Lex
- 2013 The Brecker Brothers Band Reunion
With Bill Evans
- 1994 Live in Europe
- 1997 Starfish and the Moon
- 1999 Touch
With Norah Jones
- 2001 First Sessions
- 2002 Come Away with Me
- 2003 Turn Me On/Crazy
With Monday Michiru
- 2001 Four Seasons
- 2002 Episodes in Color
- 2002 Storytellers
- 2007 My Ever Changing Moods
- 2012 Soulception
With John Patitucci
With Chris Potter
- 2002 Traveling Mercies (Verve)
- 2006 Underground (Sunnyside)
- 2008 Follow the Red Line (Sunnyside)
- 2009 Ultrahang (ArtistShare)
- 2015 Imaginary Cities (ECM)
With Alex Sipiagin
- 1998 Images
- 2002 Hindsight
- 2003 Mirrors
- 2005 Returning
- 2008 Out of the Circle
- 2010 Generations
- 2015 Balance 38–58
- 1994: Walter Becker, 11 Tracks of Whack
- 2002: Mingus Big Band, Tonight at Noon
- 2004: Erin Bode, Don't Take Your Time
- 2004: Michael Brecker, Wide Angles
- 2005: Edward Simon, Simplicitas
- 2009: James Carter, Heaven on Earth (Half Note)
- 2012: Clarence Penn, "Dali In Cobble Hill"
- 2015 The Meridian Suite, Antonio Sanchez (CAM Jazz)
- Yanow, Scott (2013). The great jazz guitarists : the ultimate guide. San Francisco: Backbeat. p. 167. ISBN 978-1-61713-023-6.
- Miller, David (12 September 2005). "Adam Rogers: Tonal Beauty". All About Jazz. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- Milkowski, Bill (20 August 2012). "Before & After with Guitarist Adam Rogers". JazzTimes. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "Adam Rogers | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
- Official site
- All About Jazz interview
- "A Guitarist-Led Quintet, Packing a Forceful Arsenal"
- "Adam Rogers", Jazz Times article by Bill Milkowski