|Spouse(s)||Rakie Ayola (2004–present)|
Adam Smethurst is an English actor and writer. He has appeared in TV dramas including Casualty, Marple and Lewis, is the son of Love Thy Neighbour star Jack Smethurst, and is married to fellow actress Rakie Ayola, with whom he has two daughters.
Smethurst is the son of Love Thy Neighbour star Jack Smethurst. During a 1998 production of Hamlet at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre, Smethurst met his future wife, Rakie Ayola. Ayola has stated that there was initially "no spark" between them, however they met again two years later during a production of Twelfth Night, and went on to become a couple. Asked to describe what attracted her to Smethurst, Ayola responded: "He's a very nice, uncomplicated man, but I saw something deeper in him. I also liked his incredible cheerfulness and openness and he has grown up with sisters so that made him easy with women." Smethurst proposed to Ayola by giving her a locket, containing a scroll which read "Will you marry me?". They married in May 2004, and Ayola gave birth to their daughter Tansy in July that year. Ayola has explained that they planned the wedding before discovering her pregnancy, and although they had been trying to conceive for around eighteen months, she failed to recognise the initial symptoms and instead believed herself to be diabetic. In the early years of their marriage, Smethurst and Ayola struggled financially, and she has spoken of her worry that she may have to cease acting, shortly before being offered the role of Kyla Tyson in the BBC medical drama Holby City. In October 2008, Ayola announced that she was pregnant with the couple's second child.
|1994||Make Love Last|
|Business Planning||Informational video|
|The Bill||Graham||Episode "Parental Guidance"|
|1998||Getting the Message Across||Informational video|
|2004||Heartbeat||Reporter||Episode "Mountains and Molehills"|
|Hustle||Detective Sergeant||Episode "Law and Corruption"|
|Silent Witness||Policeman||Episode "Cargo: Part 1"|
|Robin Hood||Fuller||Episode "Will You Tolerate This?"|
|2007||Marple||Cab driver||Episode "At Bertram's Hotel"|
|2008||Casualty||Alan Perriman||Episode "Saturday Night Fever"|
- Tate, Alex (7 May 2006), "I thought I was diabetic – but I was pregnant", Take It Easy, England, pp. 28–9
- Price, Karen (15 October 2004), "Rakie's new role", WalesOnline, Media Wales, retrieved 7 November 2008
- Hill, Claire; Simpson, Rin; Watson, Molly (6 September 2005), "The truth, the whole truth and you", Western Mail, Cardiff, Wales: Trinity Mirror, retrieved 7 November 2008
- "Britain's answer to the X-Files conjures up plum part for Rakie", Western Mail, Cardiff, Wales: Trinity Mirror, 31 January 2004, retrieved 7 November 2008
- Hendry, Steve (8 July 2007), "I was going potty before I joined Holby", Sunday Mail, Glasgow, Scotland: Trinity Mirror, retrieved 7 November 2008
- Green, Kris (11 October 2008). "Rakie Ayola to leave 'Holby City'". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi Médias. Archived from the original on 13 October 2008. Retrieved 13 October 2008.
- "Adam Smethurst". Internet Movie Database. Amazon.com. Retrieved 18 December 2008.
- "BFI Films & TV Database Smethurst, Adam". British Film Institute. Retrieved 18 December 2008.