November 24, 1965 |
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, producer, bandleader|
|Labels||Mountain Home Records, Organic Records, Sugar Hill Records|
|Associated acts||Alison Krauss & Union Station, Mountain Heart, Lonesome River Band, The Dan Tyminski Band, the Isaacs, Kenny Chesney, Clint Black, Vince Gill, Dolly Parton, The Dixie Chicks, James Taylor, Rhonda Vincent, Ronnie Bowman, Jim Mills|
Adam Steffey (born November 24, 1965) is an American mandolin player, best known for playing in the bluegrass and old-time styles. He spent time as a member of bands such as Alison Krauss & Union Station, Mountain Heart, Lonesome River Band, The Dan Tyminski Band, and the Isaacs. He is currently a member of The Boxcars. Adam has also performed with such artists as Kenny Chesney, Clint Black, Vince Gill, Dolly Parton, The Dixie Chicks, James Taylor, Rhonda Vincent, Ronnie Bowman, Jim Mills, and others.
Adam grew up in Norfolk, Virginia but moved to Kingsport, Tennessee when his father retired in 1975. He attended the Carter Family Fold each weekend when he was young, and became interested in the music he heard there. He started playing the mandolin when he was 15, taking lessons first from Audie Ratliff and later on from Jack Tottle.
Adam currently serves as an adjunct faculty member at East Tennessee State University, teaching mandolin.
- (2001) Grateful (Mountain Home Records)
- (2009) One More for the Road (Sugar Hill)
- (2013) New Primitive (Organic)
Also performed on:
- (2013) Life on a Rock (Kenny Chesney)
- (2013) The Bluegrass Album (Alan Jackson)
- (2012) All In (The Boxcars)
- (2008) Good Thing Going (Rhonda Vincent)
- (2008) Secrets (Sierra Hull)
- (2007) DoorWay (Ron Block)
- (2006) Wide Open (Mountain Heart)
- (2005) First Time Around (Aaron McDaris)
- (2005) Hide Head Blues (Jim Mills)
- (2005) Some Hearts (Carrie Underwood)
- (2002) Home (Dixie Chicks)
- (2002) My Dixie Home (Jim Mills)
- (2001) Stand Still (The Isaacs)
- (2000) Carry Me Across the Mountain (Dan Tyminski)
- (1997) Nothin' But the Taillights (Clint Black)
- (1997) So Long So Wrong (Alison Krauss & Union Station)
- (1996) High Lonesome Sound (Vince Gill)
- (1996) Treasures (Dolly Parton)
- (1994) I Know Who Holds Tomorrow (Alison Krauss)
- (1993) World Turning (Tony Trischka)
- (1992) Every Time You Say Goodbye (Alison Krauss & Union Station)
- (1991) Arkansas Traveler (Michelle Shocked)
- "The Ultimate Country Music Database". RolandNote.com. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- Adam Steffey Interview. By Terry Pender. Mandolin quarterly, 9(1) 4–11. Mar 2004.
- "Faculty and Staff". Etsu.edu. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Mr. and Mrs. Steffey". Bluegrass Today. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Adam, Tina, Andrew and Riley". Bluegrass Today. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Recipient History". IBMA Awards. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
|This article about an American musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|