Adam Szymczyk (born 1970) is a Polish art critic and curator. He was Artistic Director of documenta 14  in Athens and Kassel in 2017. In 1997, he co-founded the Foksal Gallery Foundation in Warsaw. He was Director at Kunsthalle Basel from 2004 to 2014. In 2008, he co-curated with Elena Filipovic the 5th Berlin Biennial for Contemporary Art, When Things Cast No Shadow. He is a Member of the Board of the Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw and Member of the Advisory Committee of Kontakt. Art Collection of Erste Group and ERSTE Foundation in Vienna. He is guest lecturer at Akademie der bildenden Künste in Vienna as well as at Hochschule für Gestaltung und Buchkunst in Leipzig, Germany. In 2011, he received the Walter Hopps Award for Curatorial Achievement at the Menil Foundation in Houston.
Szymczyk studied art history at Warsaw University. In the 1990s he participated at the curatorial education of Amsterdam's art centre De Appel. In 1997 he co-founded Fundacja Galerii Foksal (Foksal Gallery Foundation) in Warsaw. Since 2003 he has been the director of Kunsthalle Basel. In 2008 he was co-curator of the 5th Berlin Biennale. Szymczyk, who the New York Times called a "superstar among curators"  was presented on November 22, 2013, as the artistic director of Documenta 14.
- "Adam Szymczyk Named 2011 Recipient of the Walter Hopps Award for Curatorial Achievement" (PDF). The Menil Collection. 2010-12-14. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-01. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "dOCUMENTA 14 - info". D14.documenta.de. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Biography: Adam Szymczyk". Frieze Foundation. Archived from the original on 2013-11-22. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "5. Berlin Biennale für zeitgenössische Kunst: When things cast no shadow". Berlinbiennale.de. Archived from the original on 2013-02-20. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- "Superstar Among Curators". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Volk, Gregory (2013-11-22). "Adam Szymczyk Named Documenta 14 Artistic Director - News - Art in America". Artinamericamagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Adam Szymczyk named 2011 Recipient of the Walter Hopps Award for Curatorial Achievement". e-flux. 2011. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Works by or about Adam Szymczyk in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Literature by and about Adam Szymczyk in the German National Library catalogue
|This artist-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|