Adam Thoroughgood House
End gable of Thoroughgood House, before 1957 restoration, photo from Historic American Buildings Survey
|Location||1636 Parrish Road
Virginia Beach, Virginia
|Area||4 acres (1.6 ha)|
|Architectural style||Central-passage house|
|NRHP Reference #||66000921|
|Added to NRHP||October 15, 1966|
|Designated NHL||October 9, 1960|
|Designated VLR||September 9, 1969|
The Adam Thoroughgood House is a brick house located within the neighborhood of Thoroughgood, in Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States. It was at one time thought to have been built in 1636, but recent research has placed its construction ca. 1720. The building underwent major restorations in 1923 and in the 1950s and has served as a museum since opening to the public April 29, 1957. Much of the current structure was most likely the house of the great-grandson of Adam Thoroughgood. The City of Virginia Beach acquired the property in 2003. A 2004 grant application to the National Park Service resulted in a $150,000 award from the prestigious Save America’s Treasures program. The City matched that amount as required. This restoration took longer and cost more than expected, but the house reopened in May 2011.
Adam Thoroughgood (1604–1640), an indentured servant who arrived in Virginia in 1622, became a community leader, a member of the House of Burgesses at Jamestown, and was granted a headright of 5,350 acres (21.7 km2) in 1635.
Adam Thoroughgood was from King's Lynn, Norfolk, England, and the naming of many local features can be traced back to his childhood home, including the Lynnhaven River, the City of Norfolk, and Norfolk County and the City of South Norfolk (the last two of which combined to become the new City of Chesapeake in 1963).
- List of the oldest buildings in Virginia
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Thoroughgood, Adam, House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-06-27.
- "Thoroughgood House Renovation Ongoing - But End In Sight". Thoroughgood Neighborhood. 2010. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
- "Adam Thoroughgood House". Department of Museums, City of Virginia Beach. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adam Thoroughgood House.|
- Adam Thoroughgood House (Official Website)
- Adam Thoroughgood House, 1636 Parish Road (Thoroughgood Road), Virginia Beach, Virginia Beach, VA: 3 photos, 9 measured drawings, 5 data pages, and 1 photo caption page at Historic American Buildings Survey
- Virginia National Historic Landmarks