Adamawa State Polytechnic
Adamawa State Polytechnic is a tertiary educational institution in Numan, Adamawa State, Nigeria. It was established in 1991 through a merge of the College of Preliminary Studies Yola and the Staff Development Institute Numan. The new polytechnic provided National Diploma programs in Computer Science, Statistics, Accountancy, Business Studies and Secretarial Studies. The polytechnic, run by the state, is accredited by the National Board for Technical Education.
In 2007 the polytechnic hired 200 staff of carefully balanced ethnic and religious composition. After working unpaid for two years the group took the state government to court asking for payment of salary and benefits. In December 2009 the chief judge hearing the case advised that those carrying out torture and assault on the lecturers should desist. In November 2008 a panel reviewing the polytechnic issued a severely critical report and called on Governor Murtala Nyako to take action to bail the institution out of its academic paralysis. The panel noted that the polytechnic had only three accredited programs out of the 33 it offered, and described "apathy, uneasiness" among staff and "a perception of ethnicity and nepotism." In December 2009 the state government authorized N20.1 million to be spent on the library complex and the lecturers' residence as well as the school's fencing, which had been abandoned since 2001.
- "Welcome to Adamawa Polytechnic". Adamawa Polytechnic. Archived from the original on 2009-09-22. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- "Polytechnics in Nigeria" (PDF). National Board for Technical Education. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- Terfa Ayaga (15 December 2009). "Religious Bias - Crisis Looms in Adamawa Poly". Daily Champion.
- Matthew Onah (11 November 2008). "Panel Indicts Adamawa Polytechnic". This Day. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- Ibrahim Mista-Ali (4 December 2009). "Adamawa Govt Votes N20 Million for State Polytechnic". Leadership (Abuja). Retrieved 2010-03-24.
|This article on a Nigerian institution of higher education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|